Partner, Lawyer, Trademark Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Amy Grenon practises as a barrister, solicitor and trademark agent in all areas of intellectual property law, with a particular emphasis on complex patent, copyright and trademark litigation before the courts and administrative tribunals. Ms. Grenon has represented numerous pharmaceutical companies in patent proceedings in Canada, including applications made pursuant to the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations (PMNOC Regulations), patent infringement and impeachment actions. She has also defended against several claims for damages pursuant to section 8 of the PM(NOC) Regulations and represented clients recovering patent infringement damages.
Regarding her branding and copyright practice, Ms. Grenon advises clients on branding and copyright issues, trademark portfolio management and strategy, and has represented clients in trademark oppositions, trademark and copyright infringement and passing-off proceedings, as well as proceedings pertaining to domain names and social media-related disputes. Ms. Grenon strives to provide her clients with a business-minded approach to solving branding and copyright issues.
Ms. Grenon is active in various administrative law matters that arise in intellectual property rights and, in particular, the pharmaceutical sector, including representing clients before administrative tribunals and judicial review applications.
Ms. Grenon has appeared as counsel in matters before the Federal Court of Appeal, the Federal Court, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and specialized tribunals such as the Trademarks Opposition Board.
J.D., University of Toronto, 2007
B.Sc. (Hons.), Biochemistry, McMaster University, 2003
- Ontario 2008
- Canada (trademarks) 2012
Ms. Grenon has acted recently for the following clients:
- Gilead Sciences Inc. and Gilead Sciences Canada, Inc. in patent infringement and impeachment action against Idenix Pharmaceuticals Inc., 2015 FC 1156 (successfully obtaining a judgment invalidating Idenix’s 191 Patent and maintaining Gilead’s 657 Patent that pertains to the drug Sofosbuvir [SOLVALDI®])
- Counsel on seven actions (representing variously Pfizer, Eli Lilly, GlaxoSmithKline and Janssen) defending against claims for damages brought under section 8 of the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations
- Royal Bank of Canada in trademark infringement and passing-off litigation
- Copyright and branding advice and dispute resolution strategy development for emerging businesses
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada Co. and Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. in an application in respect of Mylan Pharmaceuticals ULC and the federal minister of health, 2012 FC 1142 (successfully obtaining judgment to prohibit the issuance of an NOC concerning the compound patent)
- Pfizer Ireland Pharmaceuticals in a patent impeachment action concerning VIAGRA®
- GlaxoSmithKline Inc. et al. in various Federal Court proceedings regarding Valacyclovir hydrochloride (VALTREX®)
- Judicial review applications in respect of patent listing and data protection: Gilead Sciences Canada Inc. v. Canada (Health), 2012 FCA 254, and Canadian Generic Pharmaceutical Association v. Canada (Health), 2011 FCA 357
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
Webinar | Thursday, June 13, 2019
Publication | May 2019
Publication | May 16, 2019
Publication | November 2018