Related services and key industries
Matthew Bernardo practises corporate and commercial law with a focus on construction and infrastructure projects and on private mergers and acquisitions.
In his construction and infrastructure practice, Matthew regularly acts for clients in both traditional project delivery and P3 projects and represents contractors, owners, sub-trades, sponsors and maintenance and service providers across a broad range of infrastructure classes.
In his corporate and commercial practice, Matthew advises buyers, sellers and equity investors in private acquisition, sale and investment transactions in a variety of industries and regularly advises clients in negotiating and drafting of complex commercial agreements.
In 2013, Mr. Bernardo completed a six-month secondment with a major Canadian multi-trade contractor where he acted as in-house legal counsel, advising on a variety of corporate, construction and infrastructure matters.
Prior to his legal studies, Mr. Bernardo worked as a commercial banking account manager at a major global bank and earned his CFA designation.
- Ontario 2009
Mr. Bernardo has acted for the following clients:
- Axium Infrastructure Inc. as Canadian counsel in its acquisition of a 100 per cent equity interest in an 84 MWAC (110 MWDC) solar portfolio from Renewable Energy Trust. The portfolio comprises eight solar PV facilities: two in California, three in Georgia and three in Ontario
- Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx in the 401 highway rail-tunnel P3/AFP project, involving the design, construction and financing of a 170-meter-long rail tunnel under Canada's busiest highway
- Bayer in connection with the Canadian aspects of the sale of its global diabetes care business to Ascensia
- The Regional Municipality of Waterloo regarding the request for proposals, and subsequent project agreement with a private sector consortium, to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the region’s IONTM stage 1 light-rail transit system
- The purchaser of the assets and business of FirstOnsite Restoration, a national disaster and emergency restoration business, in the context of its insolvency proceedings
- The owner/sponsors on a number of major, "in-market" transit APF/P3 and construction projets in the Greater Toronto Area
- A land development consultant in respect of the drafting of a proprietary in-house contract for land development engineering projects
- Porter Airlines (owner) respecting the expansion of the Toronto City Centre Airport terminal building
- The purchaser of multiple rooftop solar generating facilities under the Ontario Power Authority-administered feed-in tariff program
- A mining concern in respect of a US$300 million credit facility for early revenue phase mine development
- "What you Need to Know about the Construction Lien Act," Mechanical Contractors Association of Toronto, May 25, 2017
- “Construction Contract Changes,” Mechanical Contractors Association of Toronto, June 18, 2014.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto CFA Society