Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Class actions
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Construction and engineering
- Litigation and disputes
- Product liability
Maya Angenot's practice focuses primarily on complex commercial litigation, including class actions related to pharmaceutical and product liability, and consumer protection matters. Ms. Angenot also has in-depth experience in matters of private international law, including the recognition of foreign judgments and foreign arbitral awards, contestation of Quebec jurisdiction, as well as the management and settlement of multijurisdictional class actions.
In the course of her diversified practice, she has acted for major corporations, financial institutions and insurance companies in complex legal disputes before all levels of Quebec courts as well as before arbitration tribunals.
Ms. Angenot was recognized in 2021 as a Leading Lawyer Under 40 in Canada by Lexpert Magazine and a Lawyer To Watch in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2022.
Ms. Angenot is heavily involved in the wider community and has sat on the boards of directors of various non-profit organizations over the past few years, including the Heart and Stroke Foundation and the Fondation de l'hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont. She is also a member of Women in Norton Rose Fulbright, the objective of which is to promote women's advancement and retention in our firm.
- New York State Bar 2008
- Quebec 2011
Ms. Angenot is currently acting or has acted for the following clients:
- Twelve Quebec universities in a class action claiming partial restitution of fees as a result of COVID-19-related measures applied during the winter 2020 semester.
- Symantec Corporation in a multijurisdictional class action relating to computer security software (Norton Antivirus).
- Pfizer Canada Inc. in a multijurisdictional class action relating to the use of hormone replacement therapy (Premarin and Premplus).
- GlaxoSmithKline in a multijurisdictional class action relating to ranitidine products (Zantac).
- Sanofi-Aventis in a multijurisdictional class action relating to epinephrine auto-injectors (Allerject).
Civil and commercial
- Airbus in a $250 million contractual dispute relating to the procurement of parts for the A220 aircraft.
- SNC-Lavalin on issues relating to business ethics and anti-corruption laws and regulations.
- Krueger International in defending a $150 million claim alleging breach of a non-disclosure agreement and copyright infringement.
Private international law
- AECOM Consultants Inc. in defending a motion for recognition and execution of a multi-million dollar judgment of the Supreme Court of Cameroon.
- SNC-Lavalin in successfully resisting challenge to the jurisdiction of the Quebec courts, in a multi-million claim alleging fraud on the company with respect to its operations abroad.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2022: Leading Lawyer to Watch in Litigation - Corporate Commercial
- Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyer Under 40, 2021
- Gualtieri-Doran Scholarship, Faculty of Law, McGill University
- "Avoir un pouls ne suffit plus : regard nouveau sur le critère de représentation adéquate en action collective " (coauthor), Volume 480 - Colloque national sur l'action collective : Développements récents au Québec, au Canada et aux États-Unis (Éditions Yvon Blais, 2020).
- "Product Liability," Life Sciences in Canada, 2nd ed., March 2019.
- "Canada," International Civil Procedure, 2nd ed., Christian Campbell, editor, 2016.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Citizenship and Charters legal education program
- Young Bar Association of Montreal
- American Bar Association