Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Emmanuel Grondin practises corporate and commercial law, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and securities matters.
Mr. Grondin has a transactional practice with extensive experience in both private and public M&A and private and public debt and equity financings, including venture capital. He represents a wide variety of actors in the corporate world, including leading local and international companies (at the management, board and special committee level), banks, private equity players and institutional investors, as well as ultra high-net-worth individuals.
He also advises public companies on corporate governance, shareholder activism and securities law matters. He has experience in a wide range of industries, including technology, media and telecommunications, financial services, retail/consumer products and mining.
Mr. Grondin routinely leads international M&A transactions.
- Quebec 2011
Mr. Grondin has acted for the following clients:
- Metro in its acquisition through a combination agreement pursuant to which Metro acquires all of the outstanding Jean Coutu Group class A subordinate shares and Class B shares for $24.50 per share, representing a total consideration of approximately $4.5 billion.
- Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan as investors in the C$3.2 billion private placement of subscription receipts by Intact Financial Corporation and in connection with the £7.2 billion (approximately C$12.5 billion) acquisition of RSA Insurance Group PLC (RSA) by Intact Financial Corporation.
- Coveo Solutions Inc. on its successful C$215 million initial public offering (IPO) of subordinate voting shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange and in connection with a $227 million investment from various investors and led by OMERS Growth Equity, a $120 million investment from various investors and led by Elliot Management Corp., a cross-over private placement led by Qatar Investment Authority and the acquisitions of Tooso and Qubit.
- Weather II Investments in its acquisition of all outstanding common shares of La Mancha Resources Inc. by a friendly takeover bid, for an overall price entirely in cash of approximately $502 million, La Mancha Group with the sale of assets to and 30% equity investment in Endeavour Mining Corporation, and also in connection with Endeavour's merger by way of plan of arrangement with True Gold, the $1 billion acquisition of Semafo Inc. and $2 billion acquisition of Teranga Gold, as well as in relation with La Mancha's equity investment in G Mining Ventures.
- Mr. Germain Lamonde in the successful privatization of EXFO Inc. for $US6.25 per share for a transaction value of ca.$600 million, and in relation with the required financing.
- The special committee of the board of directors of Atrium in its $1.1 billion going‑private transaction.
- Québecor Media and Videotron in numerous M&A transactions, including in the repurchase of a significant portion of Caisse de dépôt et placement's interest in Québecor Media for a total consideration of approximately $1.5 billion.
- Mid-market M&A transactions for numerous purchasers (e.g., Lassonde Industries Inc. in connection with the purchase of Sun-Rype Products Ltd.) and sellers (e.g. the group of sellers in the sale of Foodarom to Glanbia plc.).
- Videotron, Bombardier, Metro, Wajax, Industrielle Alliance, Coveo, Québecor Media, TVA Group Inc. and other issuers in connection with numerous public debt offerings.
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2023-2024; Securities Law, 2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2023: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; 2023: recommended in Corporate Mid-Market; 2023: recommended in Mergers & Acquisitions
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Fondation du CHUM (secretary of the board of directors)