Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Marcus Archer focuses on public and private debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, reorganizations and purchases and sales of businesses and assets, acting for corporations, private equity, investment banks and creditors. He also assists clients with corporate governance, regulatory compliance, continuous disclosure and general corporate matters.
Mr. Archer is a director or corporate secretary of a number of public and private corporations.
Mr. Archer joined our Calgary office as an articling student in 1998 and became a partner in 2006.
- Alberta 1999
Certain of the recent firm engagements Mr. Archer has led or been principally involved in include the following:
- Acted for underwriters, dealers and agents on the following financing transactions:
- Debt: ARC Resources' issuance of C$1 billion of medium term notes in two series subject to a special mandatory redemption tied to ARC's business combination with Seven Generations, Tourmaline's issuances of C$200 million and C$250 million of medium term notes, Inter Pipeline's issuances of C$1 billion and C$700 million of medium term notes and C$750 million and C$700 million of hybrid notes, Teine Energy's issuance of US$400 million of senior notes (as Canadian counsel), Strathcona Resources' issuance of US$500 million of senior notes (as Canadian counsel) and Vesta Energy's issuance of C$200 million of senior notes and subsequent note exchange transaction.
- Equity: Enerplus Corporation's issuance of C$132 million of common shares, Freehold Royalties' issuances of C$173 million and C$47 million of subscription receipts, Inter Pipeline's issuance of C$200 million of common shares, Cenovus Energy's issuance of C$3 billion of common shares and TC Energy's issuance of C$4.2 billion of subscription receipts.
- Acted for issuers on the following financing transactions:
- Debt: Athabasca Oil's issuance of US$350 million of senior secured notes and warrants, Parkland Corporation's issuances of two series of US$800 million of senior notes and two series of C$600 million of senior notes, Keyera's establishment of a medium term note program and issuances of C$400 million and C$400 million of medium term notes thereunder, Keyera's issuance of C$600 million of hybrid notes, Gibson Energy's establishment of a medium term note program and issuances of C$500 million, C$325 million and C$325 million of medium term notes thereunder, Gibson's issuance of C$250 million of hybrid notes, Paramount Resources' issuance of C$35 million of convertible debentures and Saguaro Resources' issuance of C$50 million of senior second lien notes.
- Equity: Keyera's C$345 million issuance of common shares, Crescent Point's C$600 million issuance of common shares and Paramount Resources' C$190 million secondary offering of Trilogy common shares, and numerous public and private issuances of Paramount's common shares.
- M&A: Black Swan Energy's sale to Tourmaline for approximately C$1.1 billion, WestJet's sale to Onex for approximately C$5 billion (acting for the special committee), Enbridge Income Holding Fund's sale to Enbridge Inc. for approximately C$5 billion (acting for the special committee), Paramount Resources' asset sales to Seven Generations for approximately C$2 billion and to Strath Resources for approximately C$350 million and its corporate acquisitions of each of Apache Canada, MGM Energy and ProspEx Resources, and numerous private corporate acquisitions and dispositions by Stuart Olson Inc. and other energy and construction companies.
- Restructuring Transactions: Acting for noteholders on restructuring transactions involving Pengrowth Energy Corporation, Bonavista Energy Corporation and numerous private companies and acting for Stuart Olson Inc. on its restructuring transaction involving a sale to Bird Construction.
- Private Equity: Acting for Magnetar Capital in relation to its investments in Seven Generations Energy, NuVista Energy and Painted Pony Energy.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014-2022: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities; 2020-2022: recommended in Mergers & Acquisitions; 2022: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Mid-Market; 2021: recommended in Energy (Oil & Gas)
- Chambers Canada, Alberta: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2022-2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Securities Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Securities Law, 2018-2023; Corporate Law, 2019-2023
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers, 2022
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2021: most frequently recommended in the area of Corporate Finance & Securities
- Acritas Stars, 2017-2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Capital Markets: Debt (Highly Regarded), 2023
- Canadian Bar Association – Alberta
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
August 25, 2022
February 24, 2022
January 12, 2022