Marcus W Archer
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Marcus W ArchervCard
Related services and key industries
Marcus Archer focuses on public and private debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, reorganizations and purchases and sales of businesses and assets, acting for corporations, private equity, investment banks and creditors. He also assists clients with corporate governance, regulatory compliance, continuous disclosure and general corporate matters.
Mr. Archer joined our Calgary office as an articling student in 1998 and became a partner in 2006.
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1998
B.A., Western University, 1994
Certain of the recent firm engagements Mr. Archer has led or been principally involved in include the following:
- Acting for noteholders on restructuring transactions involving Pengrowth Energy Corporation and Bonavista Energy Corporation and acting for Stuart Olson Inc. on its restructuring transaction
- Acting for underwriters on the following financing transactions:
- Debt: Inter Pipeline's issuances of C$700 million of medium term notes and C$750 million and C$700 million of hybrid notes, Vesta Energy's issuance of C$200 million of senior notes, WestJet's issuance of C$400 million of senior notes and Parkland Fuel's issuances of two tranches of C$200 million of senior notes
- Equity: Freehold Royalties' issuance of C$47 million of subscription receipts, Inter Pipeline's issuance of C$200 million of common shares, Cenovus Energy's issuance of C$3 billion of common shares, TC Energy's issuance of C$4.2 billion of subscription receipts and Freehold Royalties' issuance of C$190 million of common shares.
- Acting for issuers on the following financing transactions:
- Debt: Keyera Energy's establishment of a MTN program and issuances of C$400 million and C$400 million of MTNs thereunder, Keyera Energy's issuance of C$600 million of hybrid notes, Gibson Energy's establishment of a MTN program and issuances of C$500 million, C$325 million and C$325 million of MTNs thereunder, Gibson's issuance of C$250 million of hybrid notes, Saguaro Resources' issuance of C$50 million of second lien notes and Canbriam Energy Inc.'s issuance of US$350 million of senior notes
- Equity: Keyera Corp.'s C$345 million issuance of common shares, Crescent Point Energy's C$600 million issuance of common shares and Paramount Resources Ltd.'s C$190 million secondary offering of Trilogy common shares, and numerous public and private issuances of Paramount's common shares.
- M&A: WestJet's sale to Onex for approximately C$5 billion (acting for the special committee), Enbridge Income Holding Fund's sale to Enbridge Inc. for approximately C$5 billion (acting for the special committee), Paramount Resources' asset sales to Seven Generations Energy for approximately C$2 billion and to Strath Resources for approximately C$350 million and its corporate acquisitions of each of Apache Canada, MGM Energy and ProspEx Resources, and numerous private corporate acquisitions and dispositions by Stuart Olson Inc. and other energy and construction companies.
- Private Equity: Acting for Magnetar Capital in relation to its investments in Seven Generations Energy, NuVista Energy and Painted Pony Energy.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014- 2021: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities; 2020 - 2021: recommended in Mergers & Acquisitions; 2021: recommended in Energy (Oil & Gas)
- Acritas Stars 2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2021: most frequently recommended in the area of Corporate Finance & Securities
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014 - 2020: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities; Mergers & Acquisitions
- Chambers Canada, Alberta: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Security Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate Law, Securities Law, 2018-2022
- Acritas Stars, 2017 - 2020 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Canadian Bar Association – Alberta
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association