Marcus W. Archer
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Marcus W. ArchervCard
Related services and key industries
Marcus Archer focuses on public and private debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations and purchases and sales of businesses and assets, acting for both corporations and investment bankers. He also assists clients with corporate governance, regulatory compliance, continuous disclosure and general corporate matters.
Mr. Archer joined our Calgary office as an articling student in 1998 and became a partner in 2006.
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1998
B.A., Western University, 1994
Certain of the recent firm engagements Mr. Archer has led or been principally involved in include the following:
- Acting for underwriters (as Canadian counsel for US offerings) on the following financing transactions:
- Debt: Vesta Energy's issuance of C$200 million of senior notes, Trinidad Drilling's issuance of US$350 million of senior notes, Jupiter Resources Inc.’s issuance of US$1.1 billion of senior notes and Parkland Fuel Corporation’s issuances of two tranches of C$200 million of senior notes
- Equity: Inter Pipeline's issuance of C$200 million of common shares, Cenovus Energy's issuance of C$3 billion of common shares, C$4.4 billion of subscription receipts and C$1.5 billion of rate reset preferred shares (two series) and Peyto Exploration & Development Corporation’s issuance of C$172 million of common shares
- Acting for issuers on the following financing transactions:
- Debt: Keyera Corp.'s establishment of a MTN program and initial issuance of C$400 million of MTNs, Rockpoint Gas Storage's issuance of C$400 million of senior notes (Canadian counsel), Black Swan Energy on its US$100 million second lien notes issuance, Saguaro Resources on its $50 million second lien notes issuance, Kenan Advantage Group Inc.’s issuance of US$405 million and US$150 million of senior notes (Canadian counsel), and Canbriam Energy Inc.’s issuance of US$350 million of senior notes (two tranches)
- Equity: Keyera Corp.’s C$345 million issuance of common shares and Paramount Resources Ltd.’s C$190 million secondary offering of Trilogy common shares, its issuance of C$156 million of common shares and C$59 million of flow through shares pursuant to public offerings, its public offering of C$151 million of common shares and its earlier public and private offerings of C$60 million of flow-through shares
- M&A and Restructurings: Enbridge Income Fund Holding's sale to Enbridge for approximately C$5 billion, Paramount Resources Ltd.'s acquisition of Apache Canada Ltd. for approximately C$460 million and its subsequent merger with Trilogy Energy Corp., Paramount Resources Ltd.’s asset sale to Seven Generations Energy Ltd. for approximately C$2 billion and to Strath Resources for approximately C$350 million, ORLEN Upstream Canada Ltd.’s acquisition of Kicking Horse Energy Inc. for approximately C$350 million and Paramount Resources Ltd.’s acquisition of each of MGM Energy Corp. and ProspEx Resources Ltd.
- Private Equity: Acting for Magnetar Capital in relation to its investments in Seven Generations Energy, NuVista Energy and Painted Pony Energy
- Junior Mining: Advising junior mining companies on option, joint venture and investment agreements with, among others, South32, BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, Vale, Impala and HudBay and completing various financings for junior mining companies
- Best Lawyers, Canada, 2017-2018 - Securities
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Star, 2017
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014-2019: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, ranked as a leading lawyer in Lexpert's special edition reports on leading energy and mining lawyers
- Canadian Bar Association – Alberta
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association