Marcus W. Archer
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Marcus W. ArchervCard
Related services and key industries
Marcus Archer focuses on public and private debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations and purchases and sales of businesses and assets, acting for corporations, private equity and investment banks. He also assists clients with corporate governance, regulatory compliance, continuous disclosure and general corporate matters.
Mr. Archer joined our Calgary office as an articling student in 1998 and became a partner in 2006.
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1998
B.A., Western University, 1994
Certain of the recent firm engagements Mr. Archer has led or been principally involved in include the following:
- Acting for underwriters (as Canadian counsel for US offerings) on the following financing transactions:
- Debt: Inter Pipeline's issuances of C$750 million and C$700 million of hybrid notes, Vesta Energy's issuance of C$200 million of senior notes, and Parkland Fuel Corporation’s issuances of two tranches of C$200 million of senior notes
- Equity: Inter Pipeline's issuance of C$200 million of common shares, Cenovus Energy's issuance of C$3 billion of common shares, and Freehold Royalties' issuance of C$190 million of common shares.
- Acting for issuers on the following financing transactions:
- Debt: Gibson Energy's establishment of a MTN program and inital issuance of C$500 million of MTNs, Saguaro Resources' issuance of C$50 million of second lien notes, and Canbriam Energy Inc.’s issuance of US$350 million of senior notes (two tranches)
- Equity: Keyera Corp.’s C$345 million issuance of common shares, Crescent Point Energy's C$600 million issuance of common shares and Paramount Resources Ltd.’s C$190 million secondary offering of Trilogy common shares, and numerous pulbic and private issuances of its common shares.
- M&A and Restructurings: WestJet's sale to Onex for approximately C$5 billion (acting for the special committee), Paramount Resources’s asset sales to Seven Generations Energy for approximately C$2 billion and to Strath Resources for approximately C$350 million and its corporate acquisitions of each of Apache Canada, MGM Energy and ProspEx Resources, and numerous private acquisitions and dispositions by Stuart Olson Inc. and other construction and energy companies.
- Private Equity: Acting for Magnetar Capital in relation to its investments in Seven Generations Energy, NuVista Energy and Painted Pony Energy.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities; Mergers & Acquisitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate Law, Securities Law, 2018-2021
- Acritas Stars 2020 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars, 2017 - 2019
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, ranked as a leading lawyer in Lexpert's special edition reports on leading energy and mining lawyers
- Canadian Bar Association – Alberta
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association