Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Aldo Argento has been practising litigation and dispute resolution since 1989. His main areas of focus have been indigenous law, international commercial arbitration and commercial/insurance litigation.
Aldo has acted for government and industry in a wide range of indigenous law matters. These cases have included claims based on the assertion of aboriginal title, the interpretation of First Nation treaty rights throughout Alberta and defending judicial review challenges to project development in the energy industry. He regularly advises clients on various issues involving the duty to consult First Nations in the context of natural resources and project development.
Aldo has acted as counsel in the litigation and arbitration of a number of complex claims involving contractual, construction and insurance disputes. These cases have included construction cost overrun and delay claims and disputes over policy interpretation and coverage. He also regularly acts on tort and fire loss claims, including matters involving the energy industry.
Aldo is the partner in charge for professional liability risks for our Canadian firms in Calgary and he is the co-chair of the indigenous law practice group in Calgary and heads the Canadian insurance business group.
LL.B., University of Calgary, 1988
B.A., University of Calgary, 1985
- Alberta 1989
Matters in which Mr. Argento has acted include:
- Counsel for the Province of Alberta in a $20 billion claim seeking aboriginal title and rights to a large portion of Southern Alberta and to set aside the land surrender clause in Treaty 7
- Counsel for the Province of Alberta in a claim under Treaty 6 seeking to establish a duty to consult First Nations on the basis of cumulative effects
- Defending various challenges by Indigenous groups to pipeline expansion projects in Western Canada in the Federal Court of Appeal
- Advising industry on all aspects of duty to consult Indigenous groups in the context of energy and other project development, including reviewing and negotiating impact benefit, participation and traditional land use agreements
- Counsel in various tort and fire loss claims involving industrial and oil and gas facilities and defence of wildfire claims
- Defence of contractors, subcontractors and design professionals in various insurance and construction disputes
- Advising on policy coverage and interpretation issues
International Commercial Arbitration
- International commercial arbitration of contractual and audit disputes in the energy industry
- Representing the vendors of a Canadian oilfield service company in a dispute with an American purchaser seeking the return of all or most of the purchase price on the basis of post-closing adjustments and alleged breaches of representations and warranties
- International commercial arbitration of oil sands insurance dispute involving issues relating to cost overrun/delay and construction/project management
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Indigenous Law; Litigation - Corporate Commercial
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Aboriginal Law, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: repeatedly recommended in Indigenous Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: repeatedly recommended in Litigation - Corporate Commercial
- William A. MacGillivray Gold Medallist, University of Calgary, 1988
- Faculty of Social Sciences Gold Medal, University of Calgary, 1985
- Indigenous Law – "2018 Year in Review"
- Aboriginal Law – "2016 Year in Review"
- Federal Court of Appeal affirms Canada has no duty to consult BC First Nation before ratifying investment agreement with China, January 2015
- Supreme Court of Canada confirms Ontario authorized to take up and regulate Crown lands subject to Treaty 3, July 2014
- Supreme Court of Canada recognizes aboriginal title claim in historic decision, July 2014
- Alberta’s new policy on consultation with First Nations land and natural resource management, September 2013
- Aboriginal consultation – recent highlights, May 2013
- Consultation with First Nations – highlights from 2011 cases decided by Canadian courts, February 2012
- First Nation challenge to oil sands leases dismissed by Alberta court of appeal, February 2011
- Carrier Sekani and the B.C. utilities commission, November 2010
- “Supreme Court of Canada Confirms B.C. Government Must Consult With First Nations Where Crown Land Use May Impact Unproven Aboriginal Claims,” Aboriginal Law Bulletin, November 2004.
- Panel discussion, Climate Change Risks and the Insurance Industry, Lloyds of London, London, England, March, 2018.
- “Critical Updates in Case Law and Legislation,” Aboriginal Law, Construction and Accommodation conference, The Canadian Institute, Toronto, Ontario, June 23, 2015.
- “Duty to consult and accommodate – Legal developments across Canada and their impact on natural resources projects,” Norton Rose Fulbright webinar, Calgary, Alberta, April 28, 2015.
- “Top Cases of the Past Year,” Norton Rose Fulbright client presentation, Calgary, Alberta, February 19, 2015.
- “Supreme Court of Canada’s Decision in Tsilhqot’in,” presentation at the Canadian Bar Association, Natural Resources Section, Calgary, Alberta, October 1, 2014.
- “Supreme Court of Canada’s Summer of Aboriginal Law,” Norton Rose Fulbright client presentation, Calgary, Alberta, September 23, 2014.
- “Canadian First Nations,” EUCI Conference - Oil & Gas Production on Tribal Lands, Denver, CO, February 2014.
- Guest Lecturer University of Calgary Law School, Real Estate and Aboriginal Law Classes, 2013‑14.
- “Oil and Gas Development in Canada and First Nations Issues,” Norton Rose Fulbright client presentation, Houston, Texas, November 12, 2013.
- “Aboriginal Consultation - The Challenges for Industry,” at CBA Corporate Counsel Subsection, October 2008.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Continuing Professional Legal Education (CPLED) Instructor, Oral Advocacy (2017, 2018)
- CPLED Instructor, Professional Responsibility (2017)
- Member, Independent Review Committee, Priviti Oil and Gas Opportunities Limited Partnership (2013), 2013-present
- Guest Lecturer University of Calgary Law School, Real Estate and Aboriginal Law Classes, 2013 - 2014
- University of Calgary Senate, 1994 - 2000
- Assistant coach, Bishop Carroll High School football team, 1996 - 2001, 2008 - 2015
Update | March 20, 2020
Publication | March 20, 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | July 2017