Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
John Cassell is co-chair of the national data protection, privacy and cybersecurity team. John assists clients with all manner of privacy and cybersecurity law issues including: responding to complex local and international cybersecurity incidents, advising on risk management strategies, assisting clients with access to information requests, complying with Canada's anti-spam legislation and proceedings before the offices of the Alberta and federal privacy commissioners.
John also maintains a general commercial civil litigation practice with a particular focus on insolvency and restructuring matters.
LL.B., University of Calgary, 2010
B.A., University of Calgary, 2005
- Alberta 2011
- Federal privacy commissioner issues privacy law guidance bulletin during emergency pandemic
- Data Privacy Day 2020 – Canadian Privacy Law Developments on the Horizon
- Data Protection Report: Office of Privacy Commissioner says its status quo on consent requirements for data processing transfers.
- The Priority of Municipal Tax Claims in Receiverships: Addressing a Vexing Issue for the Courts and Practitioners, Annual Review of Insolvency Law 2018.
- Canada's Mandatory Privacy Breach Reporting Requirements Coming Into Force in Canada November 1.
- Corporate Policies for Internet & Technology Use in the Workplace (co-author), Alberta Law Conference, 2012.
- Investigations to Support Just Cause Dismissals - Best Practices and Common Pitfalls (co-author).
- Workshop: Interactive Business Interruption Scenario, NetDiligence Cyber Risk Summit, Toronto, February 19-21, 2020.
- "Recent Developments in Data Privacy Regulation and Risk Mitigation and Compliance Strategies," Canadian Technology Law Association (Can-Tech) 2019 Annual Conference, Toronto, October 28-29, 2019.
- "Privacy Law Considerations in Commercial Transactions," Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Business Law Section, Calgary, October 17, 2019.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
(Gale-force) winds sweeping the Canadian privacy landscape: How will Bill C-11 change the way organizations process personal information?
Publication | November 24, 2020
Webinar | October 22, 2020
Publication | May 28, 2020 - 2 PM ET
Publication | March 26, 2020 - 2 PM ET