Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Tom Collopy practises corporate and commercial law, with a focus on energy and natural resources. His practice primarily involves commercial transactional work and providing general legal advice to upstream and midstream oil and gas, oilfield services, corporate, receiver-manager/trustee and secured lending clients. He has experience in both domestic and international energy matters, ranging from due diligence and title review to interpretation, negotiation and preparation of energy-related agreements.
Mr. Collopy has been involved in a number of energy-related transactions, from those focused on renewable energy sources, including solar, wind and biomass, to those focused on non-renewable resources, including coal, oil and natural gas. In addition to his time at Norton Rose Fulbright, Mr. Collopy spent time practising general corporate law in rural Saskatchewan where he handled a wide range of corporate, oil and gas, and real estate-related matters.
J.D., University of Saskatchewan, 2007
B.Comm., University of Calgary, 2004
- Alberta 2008
- Saskatchewan 2016
Mr. Collopy's recent client work includes the following matters:
- Advising and acting for clients on domestic oil and gas matters and transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, title review, royalty issues and oil and gas leasing matters
- Black Swan Energy in its sale of an ownership interest in certain existing and future natural gas processing plants and the related joint venture processing, transportation and marketing agreements.
- Brookfield Infrastructure on its acquisition of Enbridge's Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business in the Montney, Peace River Arch, Horn River and Liard basins in BC and Alberta for C$4.3 billion.
- PETRONAS and its affiliates with the acquisition of a 25% participating interest in the LNG Canada Project from affiliates of Shell, PetroChina and KOGAS
- Acting for oilfield services clients on transactional, operational and general corporate matters
- A Canadian oilfield services company on the sale of its well servicing business.
- A Canadian upstream consumables supplier on its acquisition of a proppant mine and related business.
- Acting for and advising receiver-managers, monitors, trustees and secured creditors in insolvency proceedings with respect to corporate matters and transactions concerning energy-related companies, including drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements and other commercial agreements
- The court-appointed receiver of a Canadian public oil and gas company on the sale of its assets to various parties.
- The court-appointed receiver of Regent Resources on the sale of its assets to various parties.
- The court-appointed receiver of LGX Oil + Gas on the sale of its assets to various parties.
- Acting for clients on renewable energy matters, including:
- The special committee of the board of directors and the board of trustees of a midstream energy company, overseeing due diligence, regarding the acquisition by a related entity of certain renewable energy assets.
- The sale of a waste heat facility.
- University of Saskatchewan Scholarship, 2006
- Eldon Woolliams Scholarship, 2006
- Canadian Bar Association Prize, 2006
- Lorelle and David Schoenfeld Prize for Environmental Law, 2005
- University of Calgary Dean’s List, 2000-2001
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Student editor, Saskatchewan Law Review, 2006-2007
- Campus Legal Services, 2005-2006