Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Justin Pettigrew practises primarily in the areas of capital markets, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions (public and private) and cannabis law. Justin routinely acts as counsel for publically listed and private cannabis companies, and has acted as counsel on various transactions to take early-stage cannabis companies public.
His corporate finance practice is focused on advising domestic and international issuers, both public and private corporations, partnerships and income funds with respect to equity and debt offerings, including initial public offerings, long- and short‑form prospectus offerings, secondary offerings, underwritten offerings and private placements. Justin also advises issuers concerning their ongoing disclosure obligations, securities reporting requirements, corporate governance practices and stock exchange matters (including Canadian Securities Exchange, Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange and New York Stock Exchange).
He has represented issuers involved in the energy sector, including propane distribution, electricity generation, renewable energy and oil and gas exploration and exploitation, both domestically and internationally.
Justin's mergers and acquisitions practice involves advising issuers, boards of directors and special committees with respect to corporate reorganizations and restructuring transactions, amalgamations, plans of arrangement, share and asset acquisitions and dispositions, and take‑over and issuer bid transactions.
LL.B, University of Alberta, 2005
B.A., University of Calgary, 2002
- Alberta 2006
Clients for whom Mr. Pettigrew has acted include:
- OPTI Canada Inc. on its sale to CNOOC by way of a plan of reorganization, compromise and arrangement – C$2.1 billion
- Superior Plus Income Fund with respect to a plan of arrangement involving the corporate conversion and reorganization of Superior and Ballard Power Systems Inc.
- Toscana Energy Income Corporation (formerly Toscana Resource Corporation) in its private placement and acquisition of Onefour Energy Ltd.
- TransAlta Corporation in connection with creating TransAlta Renewables Inc. and initial public offering of C$200 million of common shares of TransAlta Renewables Inc.
- TriAxon Resources Ltd. in connection with its private placement of common shares in the capital of LILT Canada Inc., exchange of secured debt for common shares, acquisition of TriAxon Energy Inc., acquisition of 1235218 Alberta Ltd. and the Bredal Limited Partnership and the reorganization of LILT Canada Inc. and subsequent sale to Crescent Point Energy Corp. by way of a plan of arrangement
- Canadian Pacific Railway Company in several public offerings of debt securities and unsecured medium-term notes
- OPTI Canada Inc. in several public offerings and exchange offers for US$1 billion of 8.25% senior secured notes and US$750 million of 7.875% senior secured notes
- Superior Plus Corp. in several public offerings for aggregate gross proceeds of approximately $850 million
- Toscana Energy Income Corporation in several private and public offerings for aggregate gross proceeds of approximately $50 million
- TransAlta Corporation in its US$2 billion short‑form base shelf prospectus; its C$2 billion short‑form base shelf prospectus; and several public offerings for aggregate gross proceeds of approximately $800 million
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2018 – Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of over 4,300 clients
- Canadian Bar Association