Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Geoff Poelman practises in the litigation group with a focus on complex commercial litigation within the energy industry, construction law, and insurance coverage and defence.
He has been involved in matters at all levels of court in Alberta, having experience with proceedings including contractual disputes, statutory interpretation and negligence. Geoff has successfully managed multi-party actions with complex procedural issues, often participating in a variety of alternative dispute resolution processes along the way.
Geoff also advises clients on food safety, including the regulatory requirements for processing, packaging and labelling food along with Canadian-side import and export requirements. In this context he further provides advice to insurers writing representations and warranties insurance policies for buyers in M&A transactions.
Geoff joined our Calgary office as an articling student, after graduating law school in 2012 with Dean's List recognition.
J.D., University of Calgary, 2012
B.A., University of Calgary, 2008
- Alberta 2013
Geoff has acted as counsel and junior counsel for the following types of matters:
- Large commercial lawsuits involving share purchase and other contractual disputes in the energy sector
- The prosecution of developers and contractors in the deficient construction of leaking condominium complexes or stand-alone residential homes
- Defending architectural and engineering firms, as well as home warranty companies, against allegations of negligence or breach of contract in the design and construction of various types of buildings
- Lease and contract disputes for construction and oilfield equipment supply companies
- Preparing opinions for insurance coverage disputes
- Advice and direction relating to personal injuries and waivers in fitness or sport facilities
- Prosecution of property damage claims for a large rail transportation company
- Advice and direction relating to Canadian firearms and ammunition regulation and their application to domestic and cross-border development and trade
- Advice and direction relating to food safety regulations and compliance
- Dean’s List recognition for top 10 students in program year (University of Calgary, 2011 and 2012)
- University of Calgary Bursary in Law (University of Calgary, 2011)
- Alberta Law Foundation Bursary (University of Calgary, 2011)
- APJA - Chief Judge Ernie Walter Award (University of Calgary, 2011)
- David C. Kyle Memorial Scholarship (University of Saskatchewan, 2010)
- Jason Lang scholarships for academic excellence (University of Calgary, undergraduate)
- Chapter 13 "Business Disputes," LESA Business Law Practice Manual, June 2021. (Issues associated with breach of contract, torts, and settlement).
- "Updating waivers for COVID-19," Norton Rose Fulbright - Thought Leadership Publications, July 9, 2020.
- "How Canada is streamlining the food supply chain" (co-author), The Lawyer's Daily (published by LexisNexis Canada), April 29, 2020.
- "Effective Anti-Hazing Policy" (co-author), created for and published by the Red Cross, 2010.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- QB Amicus duty counsel
Publication | October 08, 2021
Publication | July 9, 2020 - 12 PM ET
Publication | April 14, 2020 - 1 PM ET