Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Intellectual property
- Litigation and disputes
- IP enforcement
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
- Food and agribusiness
Chelsea Nimmo is a strategic litigator with a focus on practical, business-minded outcomes in intellectual property disputes. She advises clients across a broad range of industries, including those in the energy, food and agriculture, pharmaceutical and life science sectors. While her practice touches on all facets of intellectual property, she has a particular focus on patents, trademarks and industrial design issues. Her in-depth knowledge extends to both liability and damages issues, including remedies such as damages and accounting of profits.
In her patent litigation practice, Chelsea has experience with patent disputes involving many technologies, including oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, electrical, computer programming and mechanical. She also has extensive experience under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations.
Chelsea has a master's in chemistry with a focus on materials engineering, which allows her to bring a deeper insight into the technical areas of many of her cases.
Like many of her clients, Chelsea is passionate about advancing diversity within the legal profession and collaborates with industry leaders to do so. Chelsea is active in the intellectual property community across Canada and currently sits on the Canadian Bar Association Intellectual Property Executive at both the national and provincial level (Alberta).
Chelsea has been recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada for her strengths in both intellectual property and biotechnology law.
- B.C.L./LL.B, McGill University, 2014
- M.Sc., Chemistry, University of Toronto, 2011
- B.Sc., Biochemistry, McGill University, 2009
- Alberta 2023
- Ontario 2015
Chelsea has acted in the following representative matters:
- Defending a national pipeline company in a $600 million patent infringement and breach of licence action
- Acting for an oil and gas exploration, development and production company in a patent infringement action related to steam-assisted gravity drainage
- Canadian Tire in relation to various patent and trademark matters
- Pfizer in various claims relating to the drugs VIAGRA®, LIPITOR®, ACCUPRIL® and ACCURETIC®
- Hoffman-La Roche Limited and Genentech, Inc. in various Federal Court actions under the PM(NOC) Regulations in respect of trastuzumab (HERCEPTIN®) and bevacizumab (AVASTIN®)
- Novo Nordisk in various Federal Court actions under the PM(NOC) Regulations in respect of liraglutide (VICTOZA®)
- Human Care Canada in a patent infringement action related to a medical device patent
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada: Biotechnology Law, Intellectual Property Law, 2023-2024
- Canadian Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society