Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Litigation and disputes
- Class actions
- Intellectual property
- IP strategy and governance
- Advertising and marketing
Sarah Ivany is an intellectual property lawyer and litigator based in Calgary. She provides advice on commercial intellectual property matters and portfolio management, assists clients with trademark prosecutions and oppositions, as well as enforcement and litigation concerning all aspects of intellectual property.
Sarah has also acted as counsel in a wide range of complex commercial disputes, including class action lawsuits, contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, and professional liability claims. She has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta, the British Columbia Supreme Court, and the British Columbia Court of Appeal. She has also acted as counsel in several arbitrations and mediations.
Before attending law school, Sarah was the managing editor of an award-winning literary book publishing imprint. She previously served on the executive committee of the Book Publishers Association of Alberta, and she has sat on panels and delivered a variety of workshops on creative writing and book publishing across the country.
J.D., University of Calgary, 2015
B.A. (Hons), University of Toronto, 2006
- Alberta 2016
Sarah has recently acted in the following matters:
- Currently acting as co-counsel for a private company in defending a multi-million dollar class action lawsuit involving claims of conspiracy and breach of fiduciary duty
- Acted as co-counsel for a public company in defending a class action lawsuit involving claims of market manipulation and anti-competitive behaviour
- Equs Rea Ltd. v Alberta Utilities Commission and FortisAlberta Inc., 2019 ABCA 277. Successfully defeated an application for permission to appeal an decision of the Alberta Utilities Commission
- Currently acting as co-counsel in a private arbitration arising out of a dispute regarding appropriate payments under a service contract in the oil and gas sector
- Currently acting as co-counsel in a private arbitration arising out of a contract dispute relating to a large P3 transmission infrastructure project
- Miles Davison Prize in Bankruptcy Law, 2015
- Member of winning team, Bennett Jones Health Law Cup, 2014
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Ones to Watch: Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2024
- "Civility: A Cornerstone Upholding Respect for the Administration of Justice and the Rule of Law," Annual Review of Civil Litigation, 2017 (co-authors: Justice Anne L. Kirker, Aditya Badami, Lindsay Bec).
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Volunteer, Pro-Bono Law Alberta (civil claims duty counsel)
- Former director, Calgary Sexual Health Centre
Publication | February 24, 2022
Publication | January 22, 2021