Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Aletia is a senior associate in the Intellectual Property team, based in Johannesburg, and leads the Trademarks Prosecution team.
She has more than 12 years of experience in most facets of Intellectual Property law. Her experience comes from a broad range of intellectual property matters including transactional matters, trademark clearance searches and filing (throughout Africa), and formal oppositions before the Registrar of Trade Marks.
Aletia has been involved in furnishing advice and conducting due diligence exercises, advising on and drafting license and assignment agreements, advising on security arrangements (hypothecations), and other transactional matters, which effect IP rights.
Aletia has co-represented various global companies and blue chip clients, including Revlon, Aspen Global and South Africa, Unilever PLC and Samsung Electronics.
She is an associate member of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) and holds an LLB degree from the University of South Africa (UNISA).
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa
- Diageo Plc and related subsidiaries: Aletia prosecutes and oversees 606 trade marks on behalf of Diageo Plc and subsidiary companies in the territories South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland; and has been responsible and involved with advising Diageo with freedom to use and register trade marks searched; providing opinions on risk of use and passing-off. Aletia has also been continuously involved in advising Diageo on how to deal with official actions and various conditions which the registrar imposes. She has also dealt with the maintenance and recordation of various assignments for Diageo.
- Trade marks on records: Aletia oversees the prosecution of more than 4000 trade marks in South Africa and various African countries. Some of the reputable portfolios under Aletia's management are:
- Growthpoint Properties
- Sifiso Learning Group
- Energizer Brands, LLC
- Zurich Insurance Company Ltd
- AfriSam (SA) (Pty) Ltd
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited
- PWC Research Services (Pty) Ltd
- Koch Industries, Inc
- Ernst & Young Advisory Services (Pty) Ltd
- South African Tourism
- Illovo Sugar Limited