Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Abongile is an Associate based in Durban.
She is primarily a transport lawyer who deals with the litigation aspects of international trade, shipping, admiralty, marine insurance, transport, logistics and marine environmental law, as well as maritime casualty response and subrogated recoveries.
- LLB (University of KwaZulu- Natal)
- LLM (University of KwaZulu- Natal)
Assisted in advising TNPA on various issues arising out of the storm which occurred on 10 October 2017
Assisted in advising Bulk Connections and the Bidfreight Group in a matter arising out of damage to a bulk loading appliance owned by Bulk Connections. Losses were estimated at R250 million.
Assisted in representing Hollard Insurance Company (Hollard) in defending a claim for damages arising out of Hollard avoiding a policy as a result of various non-disclosures and breaches in terms of the policy. The claim was in excess of R28 million.
- She co-authored a blog in the Inside Africa Magazine with Karen Ainslie entitled "The extension of bargaining council agreements to non-parties – Constitutional or not?"
- She co-authored a blog in the Inside Africa Magazine with Malcolm Hartwell entitled "A mortgagee's claim: still at the bottom of the list";
- She co-authored a blog in the Inside Africa Magazine with Andrew Robinson entitled "Container Demurrage: Agents beware". This article was subsequently featured in the Focus on transport and logistics February issue.
- She authored an article entitled "Business Rescue & Ship Arrests" which was published in the Sunday Tribune and the Africa Ports & Ships online Magazine.
- She was a member of the Black Lawyers Association (BLA) from 2011 until 2014;
- She was a mentor in the BLA and Norton Rose Fulbright Mentorship programme at the University of KwaZulu- Natal in 2015;
- She currently sits as a member of the Ethekwini Maritime Cluster;
- She is a founder and secretary of Women Of Purpose (A Non- Profit Organization aimed at Women Empowerment); and
- She currently acts a director of Collaborating for Change (C4C) (A Community Organization aimed at Social Justice).