Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Daniel is a director in the dispute resolution and insurance litigation team based in Cape Town. Daniel specialises in insurance and commercial litigation and advice.
Daniel has acted in a number of large High Court actions and arbitrations for a variety of local and international clients involving business interruption insurance, commercial disputes, professional liability, property insurance, industrial fires, wildfires, subrogated recoveries, broker liability, product liability and product contamination insurance. In addition, he has advised extensively in the downstream petroleum industry and he has acted for a variety of insurers in marine and land transport disputes.
He joined the practice in 2010, was admitted as an attorney in 2012 and appointed as a director in 2017. Daniel was selected for recognition by Best Lawyers in the Category Insurance Law: South Africa in 2022 and 2023.
He served as the honorary treasurer and council member of the Insurance Institute of the Western Cape from 2015 to 2018.
- Bachelor of Economics, awarded with distinction and academic honours - Rhodes University;
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), awarded with distinction and academic honours - Rhodes University.
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa 2012
• Acted for insurers in bringing approximately ZAR500 million subrogated recovery action against various parties in respect of property damage arising out of fatal industrial fire.
• Acted for major South African insurer in litigation on Covid-19 business interruption claims in South Africa and Namibia.
• Representing engineering firm defending liability claim against multiple parties pertaining to alleged defects in the design and construction of the repurposed grain silos in the Silo District in the V&A Waterfront.
• Acting for London reinsurance market in relation to successful subrogated recoveries in claims related to damage to offshore drilling equipment.
• Representing business rescue practitioner defending professional liability claim in excess of R100m.
• Part of team representing Singapore based tug owners in defence of approximately EUR40 million claim brought by Dutch plaintiffs arising out of major maritime casualty off the West Coast of South Africa.
• Acting for insurers in defending product liability action arising out of major fire in automotive factory.
• Appointed by liability insurers to defend liability claims on behalf of various engineering and architectural firms in the Western Cape.
• Appointed by liability insurers to defend liability claims on behalf of various insurance intermediaries in the Western Cape.
• Appointed by liability insurers in respect of major wildfires in the Western Cape, South Africa.
- Serves on the Council of the Insurance Institute of the Cape of Good Hope in the position of Honorary Treasurer and Council Member from 2015 to 2018.
- Member of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa