Director: Technology and Innovation
Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
- Communications, media and entertainment
- Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Sourcing and technology
- Tech sector
Nerushka Bowan is a technology and privacy lawyer based in Johannesburg. She is the head of technology and innovation, and also leads the technology and privacy law practice for South Africa. She is an #InspiringFifty2020 winner (the Inspiring Fifty initiative is aimed at showcasing 50 successful women in STEM each year).
Nerushka has extensive experience in complex and strategic technology and privacy law matters, including outsourcing transactions and regulatory and compliance issues across various industry sectors. She is recognised as an international thought leader in emerging technology law and in analysing the future legal and regulatory issues of emerging tech such as AI and blockchain. She also has work experience in our London and Melbourne offices.
She is a sought after international speaker and is regularly interviewed by media. She is an advocate for legal innovation and is involved in the upskilling of lawyers for the future of law. She also mentors future legal innovators through the Allan Gray Orbis Foundation.
During 2020, she was selected as one of six judges globally for the IAPP Annual Innovation Awards, and was also a co-chair of the Johannesburg IAPP KnowledgeNet chapter from 2016-2019. She is a Consensus Forum Member of the South African National Blockchain Alliance (funded by the Department of Science & Technology, in partnership with the CSIR), and created a course with the Blockchain Academy on the legal & regulatory implications of blockchain and cryptocurrency.
LLB, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa 10
- Drafting various IT related contracts, such as outsourcing agreements, services agreements and license agreements.
- Drafting cloud services agreements and advising international clients on providing cloud services in South Africa.
- Drafting an agreement regulating the electronic communications between the major oil companies in South Africa.
- Advising on the City of Johannesburg’s broadband network project.
- Various data privacy matters for major international and local clients.
- Media law matters relating to age ratings of films and publications and review of terms for websites for distribution of music, movies, e-books and games.
- Assisting clients with their cryptography registration in terms of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 2005.
- Due diligence of mobile payment agreements.
- Review of online gambling laws for financial institutions.
- Drafting contracts dealing with the handling of cash and the cash services industry.
- Drafting and reviewing of various non-IT related services and distribution agreements in various industries.
- Secondment to a large bank during 2012 assisting as a legal manager in the procurement of IT services and also reviewed approximately 200 IT agreements with two of the bank’s IT service providers.
#InspiringFifty2020 winner – Inspiring Fifty is an initiative aimed at showcasing successful women in STEM
- Data protection report - IAPP Profiles Norton Rose Fulbright Attorney
- Financial institutions legal snapshot - Prepare for POPI – regulator shortlist
- Social media law bulletin - We’re back, with our top five social media stories of 2015
- Data protection report - Schrems: the global impact – how the ECJ ruling is affecting countries outside the EU and US
- Data protection report - South African perspective on ECJ Safe Harbour ruling
- Financial institutions legal snapshot - 175 000 South African “have an affair” details posted on dark net
- Financial institutions legal snapshot - Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill: Draft for public comment
- Financial institutions legal snapshot - POPI Information Regulator to be appointed
- Social media law bulletin - Who owns your Instagram content?
- Social media law bulletin - WhatsApp your contract
- Social media law bulletin - Social media: What happens to your account when you die?
- South African National Blockchain Alliane (SANBA) – Consensus Forum Member – 2020 - present
- OneTrust #POPIAConnect Co-Chair – 2021 - present
- Member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (Co-chair of the JHB KnowledgeNet from 2016-2019