Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Ross is head of corporate, mergers and acquisitions and leads a team of close to 100 lawyers.
Ross is a leading corporate lawyer in South Africa with 20 years of experience acting for well-known South African and international mining, commercial and industrial companies with a particular focus on the energy sector.
Ross has been the senior corporate lawyer on approximately 30 of the practice’s renewables projects in Rounds 1, 2 ,3 and 3A of the SA renewables procurement programme (REIPP), acting for both sponsors and lenders, and has focussed particularly on solar PV, solar CSP and wind projects. Amongst others Ross was lead partner on the successful Kalkbult, Linde and Dreunberg solar PV projects representing consortiums of investors including Scatec Solar AS, Norfund, The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Old Mutual. The Linde and Dreunberg projects were the first two projects to achieve financial close in Round 2 of the REIPP. Ross was also lead corporate lawyer on the Khi CSP Project which was innovative in implementing the latest tower technology and was awarded Project Finance Deal of the Year.
Key clients include Nike, Transnet, AfriSam, General Cable, SacOil Holdings, WSP Group, Publicis, Huge Group, Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa, Public Investment Corporation, Standard Bank, Old Mutual, Scatec Solar AS, Norfund, GDF Suez and Ilangalethu Solar Power.
Ross has been listed as a leading lawyer in the financial and corporate space by IFLR1000, 2016. He was also recognised as a Leading Lawyer by International Financial Law Review (IFLR1000) / Petroleum Economist: Energy and Infrastructure Guide, 2014.
Ross holds the degrees of Bachelor of Arts (English and Economics) and Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (English) in the first class from the University of Cape Town, Bachelor of Laws from the University of the Witwatersrand and Master of Laws with dual distinction from the University of Oxford.
|Ross Lomax is a leading lawyer for Energy & Infrastructure|
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa
Significant transactions in which he has been involved include:
- the initial public offering of Telkom SA Limited.
- the acquisition by Barclays Bank plc of a controlling stake in ABSA Bank Limited.
- the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Alexander Forbes Limited by the Actis Consortium.
- the unbundling of Kumba Resources’ iron ore assets and their listing on the JSE Limited as Kumba Iron Ore.
- the merging of Kumba Resources non iron ore assets with those of Eyesizwe Coal and their relisting on the JSE Limited as Eyesizwe Resources.
- the acquisition by Royal Bafokeng Finance of an additional shareholding in Zurich South Africa.
- the acquisition by T Systems South Africa (a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom) of the entire issued share capital of Ariviakom from Eskom and Transnet.
- the acquisition by a BEE consortium of a 25% shareholding in WSP Group Africa (Pty) Limited.
- the acquisition by SacOil Holdings Limited of interests in Block 1 and Block 3, Albertine Graben, DRC and participating interests in Concession Blocks 233 and 281 in Nigeria.
- the farm out by SacOil Limited of 60% of its interest in Block 3 to Total, the admission of the shares of SacOil Holdings Limited to trading on the AIM Market of the LSE, a rights offer and specific issue of shares by SacOil Holdings Limited in an amount in excess of ZAR800 million.
- the disposal by AfriSam South Africa of its Namibian operations to Ohorongo Cement (a member of the Schwenk Group).
- the acquisition by General Cable (a Fortune 500 company) of the minority stake in its South African operations.
- the conclusion by Transnet Limited of major locomotive supply agreements with General Electric and China Rail Corporation.
- the conclusion by Nike South Africa of its primary logistics contract with Barloworld.
- the acquisition by Linde & Wiemann GmbH of DAS, the acquisition by Bright Resources Investments of the interest held by Valmont in Bilston Investments.
- the disposal by Encha Group Limited of its property interests to Vukile Properties Limited.
- the acquisition by Publicis of the entire issued share capital of AML and Lighthouse Media.
- the acquisition by AgriGroupe Holdings of the entire issued share capital of AFGRI.