Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Riccardo Petersen is a director in the disputes resolution team based in Johannesburg.
He focuses on all areas of general corporate, commercial and regulatory disputes.
Riccardo was previously part of the Financial Services Team in Johannesburg and has extensive experience in financial services and markets law, consumer credit law and exchange control.
He has extensive experience relating to various pieces of financial services and consumer credit law legislation which includes the National Credit Act, Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act and the Currency and Exchanges Act.
Although part of the disputes resolution team, Riccardo regularly advises local and foreign banks, corporates, micro lenders and financial institutions on the implications and import of the National Credit Act. He also regularly advises corporates (local and foreign) on exchange control matters and assists various corporates (local and foreign) involved in cross border transactions to obtain exchange control approval from the Financial Surveillance Department of the South African Reserve Bank.
In addition to the regulatory leg of Riccardo's practice, Riccardo also acts for various corporates, banks and financial institutions in relation to general corporate and commercial as well as regulatory disputes.
Riccardo holds an LLB degree from the University of North West in Potchefstroom.
- LLB degree from the University of North West in Potchefstroom.
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa
- Acting on behalf of a leading foreign manufacturer of automotive battery covers and geomembrane liners in a commercial arbitration for the recovery of a debt owing to the foreign manufacturer.
- Acting on behalf of a leading global information and communications technology solutions provider in a commercial arbitration to defend a claim of R17 million instituted against it.
- Acting on behalf of a South African consulting and advisory entity in a renewable energy transaction to recover a debt of approximately R22 million.
- Acting on behalf of the wealth division of an international bank to recover various debts owing to it.
- Conducting a National Credit Act (NCA) investigation for and advising a leading retailer and a technology services provider on the implications of the NCA and providing various opinions to micro-lenders, banking institutions and corporates on the import and application of the NCA.
- Drafting exchange control applications and successfully obtaining approval for a mining company to construct and operate a fluorspar mine in South Africa and a local distributing company to obtain a foreign trade finance facility from a leading foreign transport company.