Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Zaida is a banking and project finance director in our pan-African team based in Johannesburg.
She focusses on international cross-border work within Africa with a particular focus on Lusophone countries including Mozambique and Angola. She provides banking, corporate, commercial and regulatory advice to investors.
Zaida has significant experience in mergers and acquisitions, real estate, infrastructure and international trade. She also has experience in renewable energy, advising domestic and international developers, sponsors and lenders in relation to regulatory and transactional matters.
Zaida spent a year on secondment to GDF Suez Middle East, Turkey and Southern Africa, an international energy company where she was responsible for all legal aspects with regard to the Renewable Energy IPP Procurement Programme for the submission of 3 bids. In 2013, Zaida was seconded to Mozambique to one of our preferred local counsel in order to keep abreast of newly enacted legislation.
Zaida has a Bachelor and Honours in Legal Science (Romanic Germanic Law) which is applicable to Lusophone countries. She is a registered Arbitrator with the Mozambique Centre for Arbitration and Conciliation (CACM). She is fluent in Portuguese and English and is a translator in these languages and also understands Spanish.
Zaida obtained an LLB (cum laude) from the University of the Witwatersrand. She is currently studying towards a Master of Law with specialisation in International Economic Law from the University of South Africa.
- Currently assisting the sponsor (telecom financing) on a complex and innovative US$600 million cross border (DRC, Nigeria, Mauritius, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda) telecoms start-up project with Afreximbank, Standard Chartered, IDC, DBSA, Diamond Bank, Ecobank and PIC in relation to the roll-out of LTE base stations and other infrastructure across DRC, Tanzania, Nigeria and Uganda.
- Currently assisting Southern African Power Pool (SAPP) on the MoZiSa transmission project financing from the north of Mozambique through Zimbabwe to South Africa.
- Currently assisting Jindal Africa Investments on a thermal power project in Mozambique.
- Currently assisting Nedbank Limited with their property finance in Mozambique.
- Currently assisting various divisions of Barloworld with their operations in Mozambique and Angola.
- Assisted Louis Dreyfus Commodities Africa with their operations in Mozambique and Angola.
- Assisted Netcare Limited with their operations in Mozambique.
- Assisted AfriCap Microfinance Investment with their operations in Mozambique.
- Assisted IFC in connection with a US$35 million facility to finance the construction, equipping and placing into operation of an aluminium rod, wire and conductor manufacturing facility in Mozambique.
- Assisted Investec in relation to Oracle Discounting and Promissory Note issuances in Mozambique, Ethiopia and Tanzania.
- Assisted Moyeng Energy (Pty) Ltd, a joint venture between GDF Suez Middle East, Turkey and Southern Africa, International Power, Investec Bank and Tiso, as Sponsors counsel with regard to Renewable Energy IPP Procurement Programme for in relation to three wind projects to be developed under the South African REIPP Procurement Programme.
- Assisted FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its Rand Merchant Bank division) as lender’s legal counsel on the financing of two renewable energy generation facilities, Soutdrift Solar Photovoltaic Project and Groenwater Solar Photovoltaic Project with a combined solar photovoltaic energy capacity of 150MW, which were awarded preferred bidder status under Phase 1.
- Assisted Nedbank Capital and the Industrial Development Corporation as lender’s legal counsel on the financing of two renewable energy generation facilities, Mulilo Renewable Energy Solar PV De Aar and Mulilo Renewable Energy Solar PV Prieska, with a combined solar photovoltaic energy capacity of 30MW, which were awarded preferred bidder status under Phase 1.
- Assisted Grindrod Mauritius (a global integrated logistics service supplier) on the expansion project of the Matola Coal Terminal (Terminal de Carvão da Matola Phase 4 Development Maputo) estimated at US$80 million. The expansion project will increase the capacity of the port’s coal and magnetite terminal from an existing output level of six million tonnes per annum to more than 20 million tonnes per annum over a period of six years.
- Assisted AfriSam Shared Services Centre with their operations in Mozambique.
- Assisted Carlyle Sub-Saharan Africa Fund on the US$80 million acquisition of a controlling interest in leading Southern African logistics business, J&J Group Limited.
- Assisted Essar Ports Limited India in negotiating a concession agreement with the government of Mozambique for a multi-user coal terminal at the Mozambican port of Beira.
- Assisted a Luxemburg private equity fund in their operations in Mozambique.
- Assisted Fortescue Metals Group Ltd Australia in relation to setting up a subsidiary in Maputo in order to conduct mining operation and advice on specific licences and registration required by Fortescue to operate its mining operations in Mozambique.
- Assisted Trafigura Beheer BV in regard to corporate, regulatory and general aspects of a concession agreement to be negotiated with the Government of Angola.