Related services and key industries
Daniel is a projects lawyer based in London.
He has a particular focus on concession contracts, supply and offtake agreements as well as the construction and engineering aspects of project finance transactions in the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Daniel is based in our London office and previously worked in the projects teams in our Dubai and Johannesburg offices. He has considerable experience in relation to power projects in the European, Middle East and African markets.
He has advised lenders, developers and government in relation to the review and negotiation of construction contracts (including EPC/Turnkey procurement), operation and maintenance agreements, service agreements, supply agreements, feedstock/ tolling agreements and power purchase/ offtake agreements and related ancillary documentation. He has experience using a number of internationally recognized standard form construction contracts, such the FIDIC suite of documents.
Daniel has significant experience relative to renewables, thermal power, co-generation (CHP) and petrochemical projects as well as the development of social housing within a PPP framework.
Daniel was recently ranked in Chambers Global 2016 reporting that '"Daniel is very bright, practical and has very good judgement." He has extensive experience handling cross-border mandates for international clients.'
Solicitor, qualified in England and Wales
- Morupule B 600MW Coal Power Station, Botswana – Advised Botswana Power Corporation in connection with the resolution of a number of disputes arising from the delayed delivery of the power station Morupule B 600MW CFB Coal Power Station and the negotiation of a long term O&M Agreement with Steag Energy Services.
- Chirodzi Independent Power Project (IPP), Mozambique - Advised the sponsors on all aspects of the development and financing of a 150MW coal fired power plant to be constructed in Chirodzi, Mozambique. This is a first in country project, and a very early stage independent power project (IPP) in Mozambique.
- 600MW Coal IPP Power Station, South Africa – Advised sponsors in relation to the development and construction, fuel supply, operation and maintenance and PPA aspects of a 600MW coal (CFB) power station (4 x 150MW units) to be constructed in South Africa under the SA Baseload Procurement Programme. Assisted with the drafting of EPC and O&M term sheets and other fuel supply contracts.
Renewables and sustainability
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park, Dubai - Advising DEWA, together with KPMG (financial adviser) and Lahmeyer International (technical adviser), in respect of the financing, procurement, construction operation and maintenance of a 100MW solar photovoltaic plant at the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park in Dubai. Advising on the EPC and O&M contracts and other related project documents. This project is Phase II of the development of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park which ultimately is intended to be a 1000MW park. Phase II is the first renewable IPP for DEWA and Dubai. As the first renewable IPP in Dubai this is a significant project as it will be a benchmark for other renewable energy projects in the region
- 5MW and 19MW Small Hydro Projects, Kenya – Advised the sponsors in relation to the power purchase, construction, operation and maintenance aspects of two small hydro power stations to be constructed in Kenya.
- Kathu 1: 100MW CSP (parabolic trough) Power Project, South Africa - Advised the sponsors, led by Engie (formerly GDF Suez) and including the Public Investment Corporation and Investec, in relation to the financing, construction, operation and management arrangements of a 100MW concentrated solar power project (using parabolic trough technology) to be constructed and developed in Kathu in the Northern Cape, South Africa under Round 3.5 of the South African REIPPP Programme.
- Longyuan Mulilo De Aar 138.96MW and 96.48MW Wind Farms, South Africa - Advised Lenders (Nedbank Limited and the Industrial Development Corporation Limited) in relation to the financing of the development, construction and operation of the 138.96MW and 96.48 MW wind power generation facilities located in the De Aar region of the Northern Cape Province in South Africa. Our role has involved review and direct negotiation of the EPC and O&M contracts with the contractor and borrower, due diligence and reporting on issues affecting the Lenders’ interests in the projects.
- Contour Global CHP Plants, Italy and Romania - Advised ContourGlobal in relation to the development of three CHP projects in Italy and Romania, each supplying electricity, steam, hot water, chilled water and carbon dioxide to Coca-Cola’s bottling plants. These “quad gen” plants provide Coca-Cola with a more reliable and less expensive energy source while substantially reducing the environmental impact of Coca-Cola’s existing operations.
- Moyeng West Coast 1: 94MW wind project, South Africa - Advised Moyeng Energy on the development, financing and construction, operation and maintenance of a 90.8 MW wind farm located at Saldanha Bay in the Western Cape Province of South Africa and the sale of electricity generated by the wind farm to Eskom pursuant to the South African REIPPP Programme.
- Sunedison Solar PV Projects, South Africa - Advised SunEdison in relation to the construction, operation and maintenance arrangements of 6 solar PV parks being developed and financed under Round 4 of the South African REIPPP Programme.
- 3.8MW Bronkhorstspruit Biogas Facility, South Africa – Advised the lenders, Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa, in relation to the construction and operation arrangements for a 3.8MW biogas facility to be constructed near Bronkhorstspruit, South Africa. This is intended to be the first commercially operated biogas plant of its nature in South Africa and involves complex wheeling arrangements in respect of the sale of power to a private off-taker across the Eskom and municipality grids.
- Orites Wind Farm, Cyprus - Advised the developers in respect of the financing, construction, operations and management arrangements for the 82MW onshore wind farm constructed in Cyprus consisting of 41 Vestas wind turbines. This was the first independent power project to be financed in Cyprus and was procured on a multi-contract basis (turbine supplier, civils contractor and electricals contractor). It was financed on a limited recourse basis by a club of international commercial banks and DFIs.
- Malawi Gateway Inland Port, Malawi – Advised the lenders in relation to the USD200 million financing, construction and operation of the Malawi Gateway Inland Port.
- Tanga Cement Plant Expansion Project, Tanzania – Advised Public Investment Corporation (PIC) in relation to the financing of the construction of a second kiln at the Tanga cement plant in Tanzania. We are advising PIC in relation to the review and negotiation of the construction arrangements and the drafting and negotiation of the finance and security documents for the debt facility being provided for the project.
- Social Housing PFI, UK – Advised both sponsors and lenders in respect of a number of social housing and care home projects being procured under the UK’s Private Finance Initiative (a PPP framework). Our team advised on the construction, refurbishment and facilities management aspects of each project.
- Westfield Retail Centre, England – Advised Commerz Real in relation to ongoing contractual issues arising in relation to this £1.5 billion shopping centre completed in 2010 in London, England.
Publication | October 2017
Publication | July 2017
Publication | January 2017