Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Lista Cannon is Global Co-Head of Regulation and Investigations and is based in London. Lista advises on transnational regulatory investigation and enforcement proceedings, commercial litigation, sovereign immunity issues, risk assessment and transnational commercial disputes. Lista is dually qualified, admitted to practice in England and New York. Lista also practises in the professional indemnity field, representing major law firms and professional accountants in connection with civil and regulatory proceedings. She has a strong banking, finance and arbitration practice through her extensive experience representing multi-national corporations, governments and financial institutions.
Lista also has experience in energy disputes and contracts. Significant work includes London Court of International Arbitration and ICC arbitrations, energy related contract disputes, including transnational litigation arising out of oil and gas joint venture disputes. Lista was seconded to the Securities Investment Board (Financial Services Authority) as acting Head of Enforcement in the transition to the new UK regime. Lista is a trained CEDR mediator.
Chambers UK 2012 acknowledges Lista Cannon as a leading practitioner in Dispute Resolution, Banking Litigation, Financial Services: Contentious Regulatory, Fraud: Civil and Professional Discipline matters. The directory states that “sources say Lista Cannon is 'incredibly reassuring to have in your corner - she understands the client's position comprehensively and leaves no stone unturned.'”
Chambers UK 2011 recognised Lista Cannon as having “a good feel for litigation” and “an excellent reputation for international regulatory investigations. Dual-qualified in the UK and the USA, 'she has a unique understanding of the transnational business world, and she's an innovative, commercial, outside-the-box thinker.'”
Legal 500 UK 2012 recognises Lista Cannon as a “highly esteemed litigator” who has “the ability to foresee issues and counter them from the start” as part of a disputes practice which is highlighted for its “ability to grasp and converse in technical subject matter.”
In 2011, Lista won the “Best in Litigation” award at the inaugural International Financial Law Review (IFLR) Women in Business Awards.
Lista is one of seven UK litigation lawyers listed in the “Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law” published by Euromoney plc in 2010.
1972 - LL.B., University of London (Hons.)
Lista is qualified as a lawyer in England and Wales and in New York.
- New York State Bar License
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Representing a significant US financial institution in connection with potential claims in the restructuring of European sovereign debt.
- Representing a senior executive of a global financial institution in connection with trans-Atlantic regulatory issues arising out of alleged misconduct in the trading of complex financial instruments.
- Advising the subsidiary of a world-leading defence contractor in significant multi-jurisdictional investigations involving the US Department of Justice, the UK Serious Fraud Office and Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs in relation with the export control and sanctions issues which have led to significant criminal and civil proceedings.
- Advising a UK-listed energy company in multi-jurisdictional investigations and potential claims arising from international bribery issues in connection with overseas oil production sharing agreements and fraud allegations.
- Representing a large independent multi-national energy investment fund in connection with an internal investigation involving the FSA and other regulators.
- Representing a Luxembourg securitisation vehicle issuing asset-backed securities in a dispute that was litigated in Utah and in England, in a case which gave rise to a significant judgment on parallel proceedings.
- Representing a global energy producer in connection with regulatory enforcement proceedings arising out of the restatement of oil reserves.
- Acting for a leading German bank in fund management litigation against one of the largest UK banks.
- Involvement in the Financial Services Authority investigations and civil claims relating to the collapse of the Split Capital market in the UK.
- Acting in the Hollywood funding litigation on behalf of an offshore structured Investment Fund and Bond Trustee in bringing claims in connection with a series of AAA rated notes and taking the proceedings through to trial.
- Representation before the London Metal Exchange of a major broker in connection with the collapse of the copper market in the Sumitomo scandal.
- Acting for a global engineering construction and project management company in joint venture ICC arbitrations arising out of oil and gas contracts.
- Acting for a multinational financial services firm in Maxwell-related litigation and regulatory enforcement proceedings, including Serious Fraud Office investigations.
- Thomson Reuters:
- London Top 50 Women (2013)
- London Super Lawyer, Business Affairs (2013)
- “Best in Litigation,” International Financial Law Review (IFLR) Women in Business Awards (2011)
- Chambers UK (2012), leading lawyer in:
- Dispute Resolution
- Banking Litigation
- Financial Services: Contentious Regulatory
- Fraud: Civil
- Professional Discipline
- Legal 500 UK (2012), leading lawyer in:
- Crime, fraud and licensing : Fraud : civil
- Corporate and Commercial: Financial Services
- Dispute Resolution: Banking Litigation
- Dispute Resolution : Commercial Litigation
- Expert Guides (2012):
- Women in Business Law, Litigation
- Litigation and Product Liability
- Legal Business “Legal Experts,” leading lawyer in: arbitration, banking litigation, commercial litigation and financial services (2010)
- International Who's Who Legal 2011, leading lawyer in commercial litigation
- “Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law” (2010), one of seven UK litigation lawyers
- PLC Dispute Resolution Handbook, recommended dispute resolution counsel in England (2010)
- UK Best Lawyers, leading litigation lawyer (2009, 2012)
- Chambers Europe and Chambers Global, leading lawyer in UK dispute resolution
- Financial Times, “High Fliers and Legal Eagles,” listed for significant contributions to international financial regulatory investigations (2006)
- Co-author, “Anti-Corruption Regulation in 2013 and a Review of 2012 Major Developments,” The International Law Firm of Fulbright & Jaworski - Securities, March 4, 2013
- Co-author with Richard Smith, Marsha Gerber, Guy Singer and Kelly Thorman, “Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. and Norton Rose Analyze the Much-Anticipated FCPA Guidance,” Fulbright Briefing, November 16, 2012
- Co-author with Richard Smith and Ian Pegram, “Deferred prosecution agreements: UK-style,” Thomson Reuters Accelus, September 6, 2012
- Co-author with Stephen McNabb, Marsha Gerber, Kimberly Hope Caine and David Harris, “State Regulator Imposes Stiff $340M Penalty Against Bank To Settle Allegations of Illegal Dealings with Iran,” Fulbright Briefing, August 21, 2012
- Co-author with David Harris and Gwen Green, “Clause for Concern,” Operational Risk & Regulation, July 2012
- Co-author with Ian Pegram, “The Bribery Act: One year on,” Thomson Reuters Accelus, June 29, 2012
- Co-author with Paul Adams, “Twin peaks regulation: will it make a difference?,” Thomson Reuters Accelus, March 29, 2012
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “Syrian Sanctions Update: The European Union Implements Council Regulation on Restrictive Measures Against Syria,” Fulbright Briefing, January 27, 2012
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “Sanctions Update: Further Additional Sanctions On Iran,” Fulbright Alert, January 25, 2012
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “Iran Sanctions Update: European Union Imposes Further Restrictive Measures Against Iran, With More to Follow,” Fulbright Briefing, December 5, 2011
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “U.K. Ban on Transactions with Iranian Banks,” Fulbright Briefing, November 28, 2011
- Co-author with David Harris, “EU Expands Sanction Regime To Target Syrian Industry,” Fulbright Briefing, September 21, 2011
- Co-author with David Harris, “Financial Institutions Beware: Middle East Sanctions Affect You Too,” Complinet, June 2011
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “EU and UK Sanctions on Libya: Latest Developments,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, June 28, 2011
- Co-author with Chris Warren-Smith and Ian Pegram, “Change is Coming – A New Approach to Supervision,” FT Adviser, June 9, 2011
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “Further Controls on Doing Business in the Middle East: New EU Sanctions on Syria,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, May 16, 2011
- Co-author with Chris Warren-Smith, Richard Smith and Ian Pegram, “International Reach of UK Bribery Act Drawn Back as UK Government Release Long-Awaited Guidance,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Alert, March 31, 2011
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “Executives Hailed in UK Serious Fraud Office Crackdown on Breaches of Economic Sanctions,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, March 10, 2011
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “Companies and Individuals Face New Sanctions on Libya,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, March 8, 2011
- Co-author with Chris Warren-Smith, “Disputation Blues,” Internal Auditing, February 1, 2011
- Co-author with Chris Warren-Smith, “Long Arm of the Law,” FT Financial Adviser, November 2010
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “Iran Sanctions Update: The European Union Implements Council Regulation On Restrictive Measures Against Iran,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, November 2010
- Co-author with Antony Corsi, “The 2011 Litigation Road Map,” New Law Journal, November 5, 2010
- Co-author with David Harris and Nicola Kelly, “The European Union Adopts Additional Iran Sanctions,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, August 25, 2010
- Co-author with Chris Warren-Smith and Shobi Sivanandan, “Future of Credit Rating Agencies: Reform Ahead,” In-House Lawyer, June 10, 2010
- Co-author with Alexandre H. Rene, Antony J. Corsi and Richard C. Smith, “Bribery Act 2010: A New Era for UK Enforcement of Bribery and Corruption Offences?,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Alert, April 2010
- Co-author, “International Regulatory Cooperation: Court of Appeal Supports FSA's Assistance of SEC in Request for Documents,” March 2010
- Co-author, “Recent International Anti-Corruption Enforcement Efforts & Compliance Guidance,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, December 2009
- Co-author with William Jacobson and Antony J. Corsi, “Self Reporting of Overseas Corruption: The SFO Issues New Guidance,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, July 2009
- Co-author with William Jacobson and Alex Rene, “Two Recent Cases Show UK is Active in Enforcement of Foreign Bribery Laws,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, October 2008
- Contributor, “Corporate Governance At-A-Glance,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. – Corporate Governance, August 2008
- Contributor, International Commercial Fraud (a worldwide collaboration among over 20 leading fraud specialists), Sweet & Maxwell
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- New York State Bar
- Trustee: British American Educational Foundation
- Trustee: Project HOPE (UK)
- Reform Club