Norton Rose Fulbright (Middle East) LLP
Related services and key industries
Hani Ghattas is a corporate lawyer based in Dubai. He has practiced law in multinational and regional firms and in-house in California, Jordan and the U.A.E. He grew up in the Middle East and has worked in Dubai for over a decade.
His corporate experience encompasses advising clients in transactional and local law matters in multiple areas including petrochemical, medical, finance, labor and immigration, securities, aviation, real estate and insurance.
Hani is a member of the California and U.S. Bar Associations as well as the Dubai and Northern Emirates and Abu Dhabi Business Councils and publishes and speaks in respect of various aspects of U.A.E. law.
- 2001 - J.D., New York University School of Law
- 1998 - B.A., Summa Cum Laude, Economics and International Relations, University of Southern California
- Qualified as a lawyer in the State of California, USA
- Attorney at Law, admitted in California
Hani's work includes advising:
- U.S. multinational financial institution regarding share exchange and restructuring of US$55 million debt and equity investment in multinational hospital operator and medical services provider ahead of planned initial public offering, including security arrangements.
- Saudi artificial turf and geotextile manufacturer regarding €30 million purchase of grass yarns business of competing U.K. multinational manufacturer of yarns, fibres, industrial and coated fabrics and composite materials, including assets and employees in multiple E.U. jurisdictions and U.S. and manufacturing facility in U.A.E.
- U.S. multinational financial institution regarding restructuring of US$100 million debt of paper products manufacturer to facilitate existing operations and construction of new manufacturing facility in U.A.E.
- Saudi plastics manufacturer regarding construction of new state-of-the-art manufacturing plant for production of geomembrane film for international markets.
- E.U. multinational chemical and pharmaceutical company regarding U.A.E. aspects of sale of global diabetes health care division to competing U.S. multinational.
- Japanese petroleum company regarding joint venture relating to construction of new manufacturing facility in Saudi Arabia for motor oils and related distribution arrangements.
- U.A.E. electronics distributor regarding joint venture relating to Middle East and Africa markets with Chinese manufacturer and French trademark holder relating to mobile phones and other personal electronic devices.
- U.S. professional association regarding joint venture with hospital operator and medical services provider relating to provision of optical medical services in Middle East.
- Saudi trading company regarding joint venture relating to construction of new blending facility in Saudi Arabia for specialty oil and water drilling chemicals.
- U.S. multinational aircraft manufacturer regarding sale and financing of aircraft to customers in Middle East.
- U.A.E. foods manufacturer regarding securing intellectual property rights including evergreen trademark license agreement in relation to new product line.
- Canadian architectural consultancy regarding settlements with multiple real estate developers relating to in excess of US$30 million in outstanding consulting fees.
- Saudi trading company regarding distribution agreements relating to pharmaceutical products, including with respect to regulatory considerations.
- U.A.E. wind tunnel manufacturer regarding template sale and purchase agreement for use in its expansion into North American market.
- U.S. multinational petroleum company regarding termination of joint venture and related aviation fuel concession agreements, fuel farm lease and development agreement and sale and purchase of hydrant asset agreement relating to multiple airports.
- U.K. multinational environmental consultancy regarding pledge of shares held directly and in trust in U.A.E. subsidiary of U.K. holding company in connection with securing additional group financing.
- E.U. multinational bank in relation to local laws and regulations regarding desired commercial offerings involving discounting of purchase orders and structuring of such offerings.
- E.U. multinational financial institutions in relation to local laws and regulations regarding share and unit offerings and other securities matters.
- U.A.E. distributor regarding registration of new onshore and free zone presences in U.A.E. relating to sales and associated support regarding joint venture manufactured electronic goods
- U.A.E. specialty restaurant/café concept regarding corporate reorganization, including equitizing shareholder loans, in anticipation of global franchising.
- U.S. multinational pharmaceutical manufacturer regarding registration of U.A.E. presence in support of Middle East operations and annual renewal of license and authorizations.
- U.S. multinational architectural consultancy regarding registration of U.A.E. free zone subsidiary in support of Middle East operations.
- Saudi lighting products manufacturer regarding reorganization of U.A.E. division, including realignment of shareholding to entities wholly owned by client and deregistration of entity.
And acting as:
- Interim Middle East region general counsel for top ten pharmaceutical multinational, including coordinating regulatory compliance, transitioning between distributors, entering into memoranda of understanding with governmental entities and lease negotiations.
- Middle East region general counsel for U.S. multinational Fortune 100 automotive parts manufacturer subsequent to their global acquisition of heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, and refrigeration manufacturer and supplier with operations in Middle East, including implementing FCPA compliance regime, negotiating distribution and agency agreements and implementation of revised human resources policies.
- Co-author, "UAE: Anti-Bribery Considerations", The Oath magazine – June 2014.
- Contributor, "Doing Business in the United Arab Emirates" released through American Business Council of Dubai and the Northern Emirates, 2014.
- "UAE Labor Law," Knowledge Exchange Series, American Business Council of Dubai & the Northern Emirates, 2015
- "Labor, Immigration and Emiratization," I.D.E.A.S. Business Forum, American Business Council of Dubai & the Northern Emirates, 2013
- "UAE Labor Laws"/American Business Council of Dubai & the Northern Emirates, 2013