Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Debt capital markets
- IBOR and benchmark reform
- Structured trade and commodity finance
Key industry sectors
Colin Rice is a derivatives and financial markets lawyer based in Singapore. Colin has extensive experience of a broad range of financial markets transactions, with a particular focus on OTC derivatives, structured products, structured finance transactions, repos and securities lending.
Colin's practice includes advising global investment banks, retail banks, funds, corporates and service providers on derivatives, repos and stock lending, derivative-linked debt securities, repackagings, structured products and complex funding transactions. Colin also advises on uncleared derivatives margin reform and collateral arrangements, default management and the impact of global regulatory developments on derivatives businesses and documentation.
Prior to joining the firm, Colin worked in the Singapore, London and New York offices of another large international law firm and in the Singapore office of a global investment bank. Colin studied law at Gonville and Caius College at the University of Cambridge.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Registered foreign lawyer practising Singapore law in, and only in, the permitted areas of legal practice
- Capital Markets: Structured Finance, Derivatives and Securitisation: Foreign Firms - Singapore Band 1, The Legal 500
Norton Rose Fulbright has an established position in derivatives transactions, including OTC and Islamic structures. The team is also noted for securitisations and other structured products, along with a steady pipeline of licensing and regulatory engagements. It has an outstanding record with a range of banks and financial institutions that operate in these segments. Colin Rice leads the Singapore derivatives and structured products practice.
'In comparison to other law firms, this one is responsive and very knowledgeable in the respective areas for which they are engaged. More often than not, they are willing to go beyond the agreed work scope, if the need arises, at the original agreed professional fee.'
'Colin Rice is a very professional lawyer who is able to think from a commercial point of view for a matter, on top of rendering pure legal advice. He is also very patient with clients, and always makes sure that his clients understand fully what he is trying to convey.'
Capital Markets: Securitisation & Derivatives: International – Singapore, Band 2, Chambers and Partners
"Colin Rice handles a broad array of capital markets transactions, including OTC derivatives, structured products and structured financing transactions. His impressive client list includes a number of major regional and international banks as well as funds and corporates". One client reports: "He is very responsive, practical and commercially minded."
- Asia-Pacific Petchem Deal of the Year (Project Finance International Awards 2017
- Asia-Pacific Oil and Gas Downstream Deal of the Year (IJGlobal 2017)
- MAS Consultation Paper on Proposed Regulatory Approach for Derivatives Contracts on Payment Tokens, Financial Services: Regulation Tomorrow, December 2019 (Accessible at: https://www.regulationtomorrow.com/asia/mas-consultation-paper-on-proposed-regulatory-approach-for-derivatives-contracts-on-payment-tokens/)
- The end of narrowly tailored credit events, September 2019 (Accessible at: https://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/blog/banking-and-finance/the-end-of-narrowly-tailored-credit-events)
August 12, 2021
June 02, 2021
Singapore team advises consortium on combination of Singlife and Aviva’s Singapore businesses for SG$3.2bn
December 10, 2020