Related services and key industries
Lisa Cabel practises employment and labour law. She advises and acts for public and private sector employers with respect to:
- Labour law – a broad range of labour relations issues, collective agreement interpretation, collective bargaining, certification applications, injunctions and other related matters.
- Employment law – employment policies and contracts, employee discipline and terminations, employment standards, wrongful dismissal claims, health and safety issues, insolvency and injunctions.
- Human rights law – discrimination claims, harassment claims, workplace policies and workplace investigations.
Ms. Cabel has appeared as counsel before the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, the Superior Court of Ontario, the Divisional Court of Ontario and the Ontario Court of Appeal. She has also mediated and arbitrated many cases to successful resolution.
- Ontario 2005
Ms. Cabel has represented clients in the following matters:
- A national consumer products company in arbitration further to which the just cause termination of an employee was upheld
- A subsidiary of one of the largest international software development companies successfully defending against an alleged constructive dismissal
- An insurance administrator in having an action dismissed on the basis that the claim was arbitrable
- An international automotive manufacturer seeking an injunction against union employees
- A leading global logistics services provider in the timely negotiation of three collective agreements
- Numerous respondents, including the City of Toronto and a Toronto-area hospital, in defending against claims of discrimination
- “Managing the Independent Worker: Special Considerations for the IT World,” Information Technology Association of Canada, March 20, 2016.
- “International Approaches to Employee Leaves and Flexible Work Arrangements: Lessons for the US?” ABA ERR Midwinter Meeting - International Breakfast Roundtable Panel, March 2016.
- “Challenges in Managing Addictions and Mental Illnesses and How to Plan Accordingly: Role of Unions and Management,” Insight’s National Healthcare Labour & Employee Relations 2015 Symposium, November 25, 2015.
- “Human Rights Damages: A Review,” The Commons Institute Advanced Sessions in Constitutional and Human Rights Law Presentation, February 26, 2015.
- “Navigating the Preliminary Issues in Grievance Arbitrations,” OBA Labour Law Essentials Program, October 15, 2014.
- “Global Perspectives on Family Responsibility Discrimination,” ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law - ERR Midwinter Meeting, March 2014.
- “Return to Work: Empowering Employees with Disabilities through a Positive Work Environment,” Insight 8th Annual Disability Management in the Workplace, January 30, 2014.
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- labour and employment section executive
- The Advocates' Society
- Former director, Golden Rescue