Elana M. Hahn
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Elana M. HahnvCard
Related services and key industries
As a domestic and international finance and securities lawyer, Elana Hahn represents financial institutions as arrangers, underwriters and lenders. She also advises funds and companies that are raising financing for their businesses and investing in financial products.
As a result of her capital markets experience, Ms. Hahn advises on all aspects of businesses that originate, finance, service and invest in financial assets, including regulatory compliance, warehouse and bridge finance, bank loans, repurchase agreements and synthetic risk transfers, servicing agreements, hedging and derivatives, portfolio trades, and advising businesses on receivables and consumer finance. She also has represented several clients who operate in the fintech and payments industry.
She has particular strength in advising companies, banks and funds on domestic and international debt offerings, investment management, cross-border transactions and capital markets products in the UK and continental Europe, the US and Canada. She advises non-Canadian businesses on establishing operations and carrying on business in Canada, and works with Canadian and American clients establishing operations and carrying on business in Europe.
Having spent a number of years working at leading US and UK firms in London, England, and practising in these areas in North America, Ms. Hahn is proficient in all categories of the mainstream public securitization markets (such as auto, credit card and mortgage loan receivables). She also has extensive experience with non-standard structured finance, including covered bonds, asset-backed commercial paper, insurance finance, collateralized loan obligations and other credit-linked securities, debt funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and other esoteric securitizations.
- Ontario 2000
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 2002
Ms. Hahn currently acts or, prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, acted in the following matters:
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch: represents this dealer in its Canadian mortgage-backed securities business and previously represented the bank as arranger of various multijurisdiction trade receivables securitization transactions
- CMC Markets: represents this global contracts-for-differences, binary and forex trading provider
- Alberta Investment Management Corp.: Represented the pension fund in its C$200 million second-lien financing of Calgary-based hydraulic fracking company Calfrac Well Services Ltd.
- VeriFone: Acted as counsel to this global electronic payment solution provider in connection with its global business
- BNP Paribas: Canadian counsel to the bank for securities and financing transactions
- PNC Bank: Advised on structuring and executing a US$150 million trade receivable securitization financing for Volt Information Services, a workforce consulting, technology management consulting and database services provider, which involved a multijurisdictional two-tier securitization structure in Canada, the UK, and the US
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation: Represented Canada’s national housing agency in its mortgage-backed securities programs
- Citibank Group and the BNY Mellon Group: Counsel advising on their capital markets, trust and agency businesses, including commercial paper programs, covered bond programs, EETC transactions and other bond, loan and structured financings
- Noralta Lodge Ltd.: Advised in its private placement offering of a C$150 million 7.50% senior secured second lien notes due 2019 and simultaneous entry of a senior secured syndicated C$110 million bank facility
- Deutsche Bank, Natixis, Goldman Sachs and Cairn Capital: represented these investment banks and funds and others in structured real estate fund and investment fund financings by way of capital call subscription facilities and credit-linked securities offerings
- International Financial Law Review 1000: Capital Markets: Structured finance and securitisation (Highly Regarded), 2019
- The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom – Securitisation Law (2017)
- Chambers Global – Foreign Expert in Banking & Finance, Canada (UK) (2013–2015) and Capital Markets: Structured Finance, Securitisation & Derivatives (Experts Based Abroad) (UK) (2013–2015)
- The Legal 500 Canada – Capital Markets (2015, 2016)
- Shortlisted for Euromoney LMG Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2012 (Best in Structured Finance)
- Chambers UK – Notable Practitioner in Capital Markets – Structured Finance (2008–2012), which noted Ms. Hahn is “an accessible, extremely hard-working and hands-on partner”
- The Legal 500 UK – Leading Individual in Finance – Derivatives & Structured Products (2009–2012) and Finance – Securitisation (2009–2012), which noted Elana is “very attractive for complex legal issues”
- “The Future Role of Banks in Canadian ABS under Basel III and Other Important Regulatory Developments,” SFIG-IMN Structured Finance Canada Conference, Toronto, May/June 2016.
- “Americas: Reforms, Modernization, Innovation and Financial Inclusion,” InPayCo International Payment Conference, Toronto, April 2016.
- “Perspectives on ABS Issuer and Originator Trends,” Canadian Structured Finance Forum, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, May/June 2015.
- “Analyzing the New Securitized Products Rules and Other Key US & Canadian Regulatory Developments,” ABS Canadian Structured Finance Forum, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, June 2014.
- “The CFTC's Final Guidance On Cross-Border Swaps Trading: Implications for Canadian Derivatives Market Participants,” Dodd-Frank Insight Webinar Series, December 2013.
- “The SEC’s Proposed Cross-Border Swap Regulations: International Perspectives,” Dodd-Frank Insight Webinar Series, July 2013.
- “Equipment Finance and Fleet Leasing Securitization,” ABS Canadian Structured Finance Forum, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, June 2013.
- “Implications for non-European Issuers coming into Europe,” Global ABS 2011 Conference, Brussels, June 2011.
- “Life After Death: Securitisation in the Post-Crisis Era,” “Banking Regulation After the Financial Crisis,” CPD Training Bundle by CPDCast®, May 2011.
- “Lessons Learned in the CLO Market and the Way Forward,” Global ABS Conference 2010, London, UK, June 2010.
Publication | May 16, 2019
Publication | June 2018
Publication | May 2018