Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Kate Green is a corporate disputes lawyer based in Sydney.
Kate focuses her practice on complex domestic and international disputes, regulatory investigations and prosecutions and internal corporate investigations. Kate advises clients on contract and shareholder disputes, Corporations Act and securities issues, statutory claims including misleading and deceptive conduct and anti-bribery, corruption and fraud risks. Kate’s practice spans the financial services, pharmaceutical, mining and commodities and aviation industry.
Prior to joining our firm, Kate was working for a global law firm in New York City advising on global anti-bribery and corruption and sanctions and export control investigations and prosecutions as well as cross-border disputes. Kate has experience advising in relation to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the U.K. Bribery Act. Prior to working in New York City, Kate worked for another international law firm in Sydney as a corporate disputes lawyer.
Kate has represented clients in the Federal Court, NSW, Victoria, Western Australia and Tasmanian Supreme Courts and in various New York jurisdictions. Kate is admitted to practice in New South Wales and in New York.
Kate has a special interest in business ethics and anti-corruption and has experience in investigating whistleblower complaints and responding to investigation requests from regulators. Kate is a member of our business ethics anti-corruption group in Australia, which advises on the implications of increasing regulation in business ethics, anti-corruption and bribery in Australia and abroad.
- B Comm, LLB, University of Sydney
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2010
Representative experience – Australia
- acting for receivers and managers of Dick Smith Electronics (Supreme Court of NSW).
- internal investigation for Caltex Australia into allegations of franchisee's not complying with the obligations under the Fair Work Act.
- acting for Caltex in proceedings commenced in the Supreme Court of Western Australia by franchisees, Allegria Pty Ltd and Ors.
- internal investigation for NSW Department of Finance, Services and Innovation into contractor misconduct.
- representing a consumer lender in relation to an investigation by ASIC into contraventions of the Australian Consumer Credit Law.
- representing a superannuation institution in relation to an investigation by ASIC into contraventions of the Corporations Act.
- representing an individual director in an investigation by ASIC into bribery and corruption allegations.
- acting for CMA Assets Pty Ltd in WA Supreme Court proceedings and associated Security of Payment Act claims against John Holland Pty Limited in respect of delay, dredging and demolition of BHP's extended wharf facilities at Port Headland, West Australia alleging negligence, breach of contract, set off and claims for liquidated damages.
- acting for CMA Corporation Pty Ltd in Tasmanian Supreme Court and Appeal Court proceedings seeking relief against forfeiture and damages in respect of alleged breach of lease agreements.
- representing Qantas in relation to Federal Court proceedings following the explosion of an A380 aircraft.
- representing Rocklands Richfield Limited, a foreign-owned mining company, in proceedings concerning breaches of corporations and securities legislation and claims of oppression.
- advising Consolidated Press Holdings in high profile proceedings arising from claims of breach of directors' duties, breach of securities regulations and breach of contract.
- advising the financial service divisions of Westpac, AMP and Axis on proceedings arising out of insurance policies for professional indemnity.
- representing an individual during a hearing of the Independent Commission Against Corruption.
- assisting Qantas in responding to an urgent request for documents from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
- assisting MCC Mining Limited, a Chinese owned mining company, in the preparation of a contract dispute for arbitration in the International Court of Arbitration.
Representative experience – New York
- advising a global pharmaceutical company in relation to cross-border internal investigations and investigations and prosecutions by U.S. and U.K. regulatory authorities for breaches of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, UK Bribery Act and U.S. and U.K. sanctions laws.
- representing an international hedge fund in relation to an investigation and potential prosecution by U.S. regulatory authorities for breaches of U.S. sanctions law.
- defending Gemological Institute of America, an international not for profit, in proceedings in New York regarding cross-border breach of contract, defamation and fraud.
- defending Benecard Services Inc., a pharmaceutical corporation, in a complex contract dispute in Federal Court.
- representing individuals in relation to an international anti-trust investigation by U.S. regulatory authorities.