Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Asset-based lending
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Private equity and venture capital
- Oil and gas
Matthew Longstaff has extensive experience advising investment banks, sovereigns, private equity houses and corporate clients in a broad range of cross‑border debt financings, including high‑yield bonds, leveraged bank finance, syndicated and bilateral bank financings, project financings, convertible and exchangeable bonds, sovereign bonds, hybrid capital issuances, consent solicitations, and securitizations, as well as advising on restructurings and in distressed debt scenarios. In addition, Mr. Longstaff advises on the finance aspects of mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Longstaff’s experience principally includes advising entities operating in the financial services, energy, mining, technology, shipping and aviation sectors.
Mr. Longstaff is an English‑qualified banking and capital markets lawyer as well as a member of the Alberta bar. He joined our London office in 2015. In 2016, he moved to Calgary. Before joining Norton Rose Fulbright, he was an associate in the London offices of a US law firm and a “magic circle” law firm.
Master in Laws, Université de Paris I, Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2006
LL.B., English and French law, King’s College, University of London/Université de Paris I, Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2006
- Alberta 2016
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 2009
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Banking and Finance Law, 2024
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Banking; Capital markets: debt (Rising Star), 2019-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: A leading lawyer to watch in Banking & Financial Institutions
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Alberta