Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
Jonathan Siu is a banking and finance lawyer based in Singapore.
Jonathan has experience of a broad range of international transactions, primarily in the oil and gas, mining and shipping and offshore sectors, including advising clients in both an in-house and private practice capacity. He has extensive experience on advising on project and asset / structured financings, secured debt financings, acquisition finance, finance leasing, hybrid funding arrangements, export credit agency financings and high-yield bond issuances.
Jonathan also has specialist knowledge of the oil and gas sector, particularly in Australia, including in respect of joint venture agreements (incorporated and unincorporated), sale and purchase agreements, farm-in/out arrangements, royalty agreements and related documentation. Jonathan is qualified in both Western Australia and England & Wales. Jonathan has practised in Singapore, Perth and London. He previously worked in the Perth office of Allen & Overy and also in-house for a subsidiary of MISC Berhad.
- qualified in England & Wales
- qualified in Western Australia
Oil & Gas
- Subsidiaries of the sponsors, Inpex and Total on the financing of the USD34billion Ichthys LNG project (an integrated mega-project) in Australia. The ECAs include JBIC, NEXI, KEXIM, K-SURE, COFACE, HERMES, ATRADIUS and EFIC and 24 commercial banks. This deal is presently the largest project financing in history. This included a 6 month secondment to Inpex from June 2012 – Dec 2012.
- Arrow Energy on the development and proposed financing of its integrated coal seam gas project in Queensland, Australia.
- Sino Gas & Energy on the financing of its coalbed methane project in the Ordos Basin, onshore China
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) as lender together with a syndicate of other banks for a US$300,000,000 project re-financing in respect of the acquisition of an interest by a participant in the Gorgon project in Western Australia.
- The Project Company (PT Donggi Senoro LNG) and Sponsors on the USD2.8 billion project financing of the Donggi-Senoro Liquefied Natural Gas (DSLNG) project in Indonesia.
- Macquarie Bank Limited as lender on the financing for the acquisition of a 50% interest in the Mereenie Oil and Gas Field by Central Petroleum Ltd from Santos.
- A major Japanese corporation as sponsor on its project documents and project financing of the Tanjung Jati B Coal-fired power project in Indonesia.
- The Commercial Lenders and ECAs in relation to the project financing of a refinery and petrochemical project, located at Nghi Son, Than Hoa Province, Vietnam.
- The export credit agencies and commercial lenders in connection with the USD7.2 billion project financing of the Roy Hill iron ore mine, rail and port project in Western Australia, the largest project financing in the mining sector to date.
- Fortescue Metals Group Limited on numerous transactions, including:
- as borrower in relation to a US$600 million revolving loan facility with a syndicate of nine (9) banks;
- as issuer in respect of numerous 144A issuance of Senior Notes to fund expansion costs and subsequent further issuances;
- certain multi-jurisdictional, multi-ECA supported facilities;
- a US$5,000,000,000 secured US facility together with its subsequent refinancing; and
- a US$2,300,000,000 144A issuance of secured senior notes to refinance a number of Fortescue's unsecured notes.
- Global Advanced Metals Pty Ltd as borrower in respect of a US$75 million secured acquisition financing and its subsequent refinancing.
- The commercial lenders and arrangers in respect of a US$100 million revolving facility and US$485,000,000 144A issuance of Senior Notes for Barminco Limited.
- Resource Capital Funds as lender in respect of a US$100,000,000 secured bridge financing to Murchison Metals Limited in respect of the Oakajee project, including the subsequent discharge and release.
- Resource Capital Funds on a pre-project financing funding package to Vimy Resources Ltd for development of its uranium mine, including in relation to its royalty arrangements.
- Komatsu Australia Corporate Finance Pty Ltd as lender and lessor in respect of the financing of mobile mining equipment for the Keysbrook mineral sands project in Western Australia.
Shipping & Offshore
- Fortescue Metals Group Limited in relation to the US$473 million financing of eight Very Large Ore Carriers (VLOCs) currently under construction in China. The financing was structured on a finance lease basis with the China Development Bank Financial Leasing Co., Ltd. as lessor.
- The Islamic Finance Parties in relation to the US$780 million Commodity Murabahah Financing for Yinson Production (West Africa) Pte. Ltd in respect of its FPSO "Yinson Genesis" to be operated offshore Ghana (Africa Deal of the Year 2016: Islamic Finance News Awards).
- The ECAs and commercial lenders on the A$398 million project financing for Victoria International Container Terminal Limited in relation to the construction and development of Webb Dock at the Port of Melbourne, Australia (Best Project Finance Deal: Financeasia)
- Bumi Armada Berhad and other sponsors in relation to a US$375 million bridge financing for an FPSO to be operated offshore Indonesia.
- Deutsche Bank as arranger, bookrunner and lender in relation to the ship financing to a subsidiary of UMW Oil & Gas Corporation Berhad in respect of three (3) drill rigs.
- Mubadala Petroleum in respect of its contractual arrangements for the chartering of an FPSO for operation at the Jasmine field, offshore Thailand.
- PTTEP Australasia and PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited in respect of the proposed FLNG project off the north west coast of Australia.
- Inpex Oil & Gas Australia on its shipping and offtake arrangements for the Prelude LNG Project, offshore Western Australia.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation as mandated lead arranger in relation to the US$190 million limited recourse project financing of an FPSO to be operated by Malaysia's Bumi Armada offshore Nigeria, with export credit guarantee support from SACE.
- The mandated lead arrangers in relation to the limited recourse project financing of the FSO "Orkid" to be operated offshore Malaysia jointly by PTSC and MISC for Talisman Malaysia Limited.
- The mandated lead arrangers in relation to a US$110 million senior secured debt financing for the conversion and charter of two Mobile Offshore Production Units (MOPUs) to be operated offshore Sarawak, Malaysia.
- MISC Berhad in the potential acquisition of a leading FPSO operator based in Western Europe.