Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Bryan Millman primarily serves clients in the charitable and tax-exempt sector, including registered charities, not-for-profit organizations, professional bodies and other entities. These clients commonly operate across a broad spectrum of sub-sectors including, but not limited to, healthcare, education, social services, recreation and the environment.
Mr. Millman leverages his previous experience in commercial law to assist his current clients on a wide variety of matters that include charitable registration, governance, corporate structuring and restructuring, social enterprise, regulatory compliance, fundraising and tax.
Mr. Millman also counsels donors on philanthropic planning by advising on the implementation of charitable gifts. He also advises both public and private foundations on all aspects of their operation and governance.
LL.B., University of Alberta, 2011
B.A., McGill University, 2007
- British Columbia 2012
Matters in which Mr. Millman has acted include:
- Assisting high-net-worth individuals structure donations to registered charities
- Drafting or revising governance documents, bylaws, resolutions, related policies for registered charities and non-profit organizations
- Advising charities operating outside Canada on how to properly structure their relationships and service delivery
- Working with charitable organizations to create "parallel" foundations
- Helping a number of charities with complementary purposes and activities to merge staff and operations into a single, more efficient organization
- Assisting charities with business activities to "spin" the business out into a wholly owned subsidiary company
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Charities / Non-Profit Law, 2024
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Executive member, Canadian Bar Association