Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
David Bain practises commercial law with a specialty in debt financing. Since 1983 he has advised a wide range of clients on various aspects of commercial law with particular emphasis on debt financing and lending transactions, including project finance.
Mr. Bain serves clients including Canadian and foreign banks and non-bank and private lenders, as well as corporate borrowers in a variety of industries. Over the past 30 years he has been involved in many of British Columbia's most significant financings, involving borrowers in the forest industry, marine transportation, real estate development, manufacturing, aviation and knowledge-based industries.
He has provided counsel on many cross-border loan transactions and syndicated financings. His project finance experience has involved infrastructure projects (including public-private partnerships) as well as alternative energy projects. In addition, he has extensive experience in advising institutional lenders and finance companies on consumer lending issues. His commercial practice includes acting for buyers, sellers and lessors of aircraft and negotiating various commercial arrangements.
Mr. Bain serves as a trusted advisor to a number of clients on their financing and business activities and is a recognized leader in his areas of practice.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1982
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1979
- British Columbia 1983
Matters in which Mr. Bain has been involved include:
- Acting for BC's largest marine transportation company on its senior secured note financing and operating credit facilities
- Advising the lending syndicate to one of the world's largest forest companies in connection with its $350 million credit facilities for operations in Canada and the US
- Counselling a major regional transportation authority in connection with its $600 million senior credit facilities and related commercial paper program
- Negotiating aircraft purchase and sale agreements for a Canadian charter operator involving transactions aggregating in value in excess of $300 million
- Serving as BC counsel to the lender in a run-of-river hydroelectric project
- Acting as counsel to the lenders in a major public private partnership in the healthcare sector
- Advising a major credit union on consumer retail lending issues and unique socially responsible lending programs
- Serving as trusted advisor to one of western Canada's largest retailers
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016 - 2021: recommended in Asset Equipment Finance/ Leasing; Asset Based Lending; Banking and Financial Institutions
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Asset-Based Lending Practice, Banking and Finance Law, Equipment Finance Law, Project Finance Law, Structured Finance Law, 2006-2021
- LexisNexis - Martindale-Hubbell: BV Peer Review Rated