Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Michael Blatchford is the national practice group leader, charities and tax-exempt organizations. He works with charities, not-for-profit organizations, associations, clubs, social enterprises and other entities in the voluntary sector and advises on all aspects of their operations and governance, helping them to effectively carry out their programs while complying with regulatory obligations.
Mr. Blatchford's clients include registered charities and non-profit organizations in every area, from healthcare, education and social services to arts and culture, environmental and recreation and athletics. He also assists professional bodies, associations, clubs and religious and faith-based organizations. Mr. Blatchford advises these clients on governance, meetings, fundraising and tax matters, as well as legal compliance. He represents organizations in their dealings with regulators, including the Canada Revenue Agency. He advises on fundraising and receipting issues for charities and has helped numerous charities carry out their work abroad. He also provides advice to charities and not-for-profit organizations that carry on a social enterprise or other revenue-generating activities.
In addition, Mr. Blatchford works with organizations of every type as a parliamentarian, meeting advisor and independent chair, using tools such as Robert’s Rules of Order to capably facilitate complicated or contentious meetings.
Mr. Blatchford works with donors to plan and implement charitable gifts and other structures for effective philanthropy.
- British Columbia 2009
Matters in which Mr. Blatchford has acted include:
- Drafting or revising governance documents, bylaws, resolutions, related policies for non-profit and First Nations organizations
- Helping a number of charities with complementary purposes and activities to merge staff and operations into a single, more efficient organization
- Advising charities operating outside Canada on how to properly structure their relationships and service delivery
- Working with charitable organizations to create “parallel” foundations
- Acting as parliamentarian for contentious or complex general meetings
- Assisting charities with business activities to “spin” the business out into a wholly owned subsidiary company
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Charities / Non-Profit Law, 2021-2024; Trusts and Estates, 2022-2024; Corporate Governance Practice, 2024
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Charities/Non-profits, Chambers and Partners, 2019-2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2019-2023: recommended in Charities/ Not-For-Profit Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Trusts and Estates, 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Charities/Non-profit Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2021
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Co-chair, Canadian Bar Association, Charities & Non-for-Profit Law Section
- Canadian Bar Association - Wills & Trusts Section, Vancouver, National Charities & Not-for-Profit Law Section