Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Keith Bustard's practice focuses on infrastructure and construction projects and providing advice related to commercial transactions and general business matters.
Mr. Bustard has assisted clients on a range of infrastructure projects, advising owners, contractors and consultants on all aspects their projects. As part of his practice, he regularly provides strategic, practical advice to private and government clients on all forms of construction delivery, including design-build, construction management and public-private partnerships. He has extensive experience working in areas such as healthcare, transport, education, wastewater, energy, shipbuilding and natural resource development.
He is an experienced drafter of complex procurement documents and advises owners and proponents on all aspects of tender and RFP processes. Mr. Bustard's commercial work includes advising on structuring and implementing projects and transactions as well as negotiating and drafting various types of commercial and corporate contracts.
Mr. Bustard completed his business degree (with distinction) at the University of Victoria where he was the captain of the men's basketball team and a four-time Academic All-Canadian. Prior to attending law school, he was the manager of finance and administration of a Vancouver-based charity.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2007
B.Comm., University of Victoria, 2002
- British Columbia 2008
Mr. Bustard has been involved in the following matters:
- Cariboo Memorial Hospital Redevelopment Project
- Rio Tinto Alcan - various infrastructure projects and commercial matters, including in connection with LNG development in Kitimat, BC
- Surrey Langley SkyTrain Project
- Capital Regional District Wastewater Treatment Program
- Prince Rupert Port Authority - various major infrastructure projects, including the Road, Rail and Utility Corridor Project and the Fairview-Ridley Connector Corridor Project
- Institute for Advanced Medical Isotopes – construction of a facility to house a particle accelerator
- Healing Spirit House Project (Valleyview Project)
- Construction company - counsel to a pipeline contractor responsible for constructing segments of the TransMountain Expansion Project and the Coastal GasLink Project
- North Island Hospitals Project
- Municipal Agreements - counsel to various local governments related to commercial agreements, including recycling and garbage collection, organic waste management and landfill operation
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: A leading lawyer to watch in Infrastructure Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate Law, 2018-2021
- "Change Orders 101," client seminar, January 2021.
- "Managing Risk by Contract - Procurement and Construction Law," British Columbia Risk Insurance Management Association, November 2019.
- "An Introduction to Procurement Law," client seminar, July 2018.
- "Choosing Your Delivery Method - Design-Bid-Build and Design-Build," Pacific Business & Law Institute, Project Delivery and Procurement, April 2018.
- “Tender and RFP Law - Seaspan Law School,” client seminar, March 2017.
- “Professional Service Contracts,” Pacific Business & Law Institute Construction Contracts: Beyond Standard Terms, November 2015.
- “Procurement Law 101,” Whitehorse, Yukon, September 2015.
- “Procurement Law: An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure,” Bull Housser Client Spotlight, January 2015.
- “Tender and RFP Law - Recent Trends and Developments,” Bull Housser Local Government Seminar, October 2013.
- “Construction and Procurement Law,” Bull Housser Infrastructure Seminar, June 2013.
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Vancouver Bar Association
- BC Construction Roundtable
- Board of directors, Hooplaw Society (2011 - 2015)
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, Construction Law Section (Executive 2015 - 2016