Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Max Collett is a leading real property, planning and environmental lawyer with a keen interest in the development of sustainable cities. Mr. Collett provides timely and practice advice to public and private sector clients on a diverse range of projects, from the remediation and re-development of industrial brownfield sites, development of healthcare-related facilities, complex mixed-use strata developments and commercial joint ventures on First Nations lands. He regularly assists on property, environmental and indigenous consultation-related matters for institutional projects, including those undertaken pursuant to public-private partnerships. Mr. Collett advises commercial and industrial clients on all aspects of regulatory compliance with environmental laws. He is contributing editor to numerous property and environmental law publications
Mr. Collett has held numerous senior management positions, including past executive, vice-chair of the business law group and the chair of the environmental law practice group.
LL.B., Dalhousie University, 1996
Judicial Law Clerk, British Columbia Supreme Court 1996-1997
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1992
- British Columbia 1998
Mr. Collett has acted as counsel for the following clients:
- The TFN Economic Development Corporation in relation to a 3-5 million tonne per annum LNG export terminal facility, proposed by FortisBC and to be located on a 80-acre site on Tsawwassen First Nation lands, Tsawwassen, BC
- External counsel to BC Liquor Distribution Branch in connection with leasing matters related to its real estate portfolio, being one of the largest retailers in BC
- Tsawwassen Development Power Centre Limited Partnership in connection with negotiation of a 99-year land lease, and the construction, and finance and lease of Tsawwassen Commons, a landmark 550,000-sq.-ft. retail development in Tsawwassen, BC, together with the related leasing program
- Providence Health Care Society in the acquisition in December 2015 of an 18+.5 acre site in the False Creek Flats, Vancouver, as the future location of the St. Paul’s hospital, and a mixed-use healthcare complex
- ESCO Limited in the disposition of a 29-acre industrial site, in Port Coquitlam, BC, to Beedie Group
- BC Pavilion Corporation in connection with the development of the Vancouver Convention Centre West, together with an integrated including development of a seaplane terminal, leasing of retail premises, and construction of a marina
- SaskBuilds Corporation and the Cypress Regional Health Authority on real estate matters related to the Swift Current Long-Term Care Facility Project, a public-private procured $100m+, 225 bed long-term care facility in Swift Current, Saskatchewan
- Canada Lands Company CLC Limited in the phased development of Glenlyon Business Park, and subsequent disposition to Beedie Group, as well as the phased re-development of Canadian Forces Base Chilliwack into the mixed-use 153-acre Garrison Crossing development and the 43-acre River’s Edge residential community, Chilliwack, BC
- Porte Communities in connection with the numerous residential developments, including the "Origin" and "Lift" developments on long-term leased lands at Simon Fraser University’s innovative UniverCity master planned community, Burnaby, BC
- Eagle Landing Development Limited Partnership, in connection with the development of the 700,000-sq.-ft. Eagle Landing centre and retail village, Squiala First Nation reserve, Chilliwack, BC
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2018-2019: recommended in Environmental Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2016: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Commercial Leasing Law, Environmental Law and Real Estate Law
- Legal 500 Canada, 2015: Recommended lawyer in the area of Environment
- Author, Hazmat Magazine, British Columbia intends to improve waste soil relocation regulations, March 24, 2019
- Contributing editor, CLE BC, Commercial Leasing Annotated Precedents, since 2016.
- Contributing editor, CLE BC, environmental law chapter, Advising BC Businesses, since 2015.
- Co-author, environmental law chapter for Canada in Practical Law Company Cross-Border Environment Handbook, 2012
- "Drafting the Deal: Words Matter," CLE BC Contaminated Land Clean Up Costs, February 2018.
- "Amendments to BC Contaminated Sites Regime," Canadian Environmental Conference & Tradeshow (CANECT), Mississauga, ON, May 1, 2017.
- "Real Estate and Environmental Law Issues in an M&A Transaction," M&A Deal Series, Vancouver, BC, February 14, 2017.
- "Landlord and Tenant Collaboration in Sustainable Buildings" (moderator), Vancouver Real Estate Strategy & Leasing Conference, Vancouver, BC, 2016.
- "Partnering with First Nations," Urban Development Institute, Vancouver, BC, 2015.
- BC Business Council – Environmental Policy Advisory Group
- BC Environment Industry Association
- Canadian Bar Association - National Environmental, Energy & Resources Law, Real Property & Environmental Subsections, BC Branch
- Canadian Environmental Law Forum
- Member, Governance Committee, Cassie & Friends: A Society for Children with Juvenile Arthritis and other Rheumatic Diseases
Publication | March 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | February 2019
Publication | November 2018