Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Max Collett provides quality, timely and practical advice to public and private sector clients on all legal matters pertaining to complex commercial real estate development and environmental law.
Mr. Collett assists developers, First Nations economic development companies, governmental agencies and health authorities, amongst others, to structure the ownership of projects, and acquire, finance, construct, operate and sell institutional, industrial, commercial and residential developments. He has extensive experience with legal matters pertaining to the management or redevelopment of contaminated, brownfield sites. Mr. Collett is counsel on a diverse range of projects, from complex mixed-use strata developments, complex commercial developments, health care facilities to joint venture developments on First Nations lands. He regularly assists on institutional projects undertaken pursuant to public-private partnerships. Mr. Collett also advises commercial and industrial clients on all aspects of regulatory compliance with environmental laws.
Mr. Collett has held numerous senior management positions, including past vice-chair of the business law group and the chair of the environmental law practice group.
LL.B., Dalhousie University, 1996
Judicial Law Clerk, British Columbia Supreme Court 1996-1997
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1992
- British Columbia 1998
Mr. Collett has acted as counsel for the following clients:
- The TFN Economic Development Corporation in relation to a 3-5 million tonne per annum LNG export terminal facility, proposed by FortisBC and to be located on a 80-acre site on Tsawwassen First Nation lands, Tsawwassen, BC
- External counsel to BC Liquor Distribution Branch in connection with leasing matters related to its real estate portfolio, being one of the largest retailers in BC
- Tsawwassen Development Power Centre Limited Partnership in connection with negotiation of a 99-year land lease, and the construction, and finance and lease of Tsawwassen Commons, a landmark 550,000-sq.-ft. retail development in Tsawwassen, BC, together with the related leasing program
- Providence Health Care Society in the acquisition in December 2015 of an 18+.5 acre site in the False Creek Flats, Vancouver, as the future location of the St. Paul’s hospital, and a mixed-use heathcare complex
- ESCO Limited in the disposition of a 29-acre industrial site, in Port Coquitlam, BC, to Beedie Group
- BC Pavilion Corporation in connection with the development of the Vancouver Convention Centre West, together with an integrated including development of a seaplane terminal, leasing of retail premises, and construction of a marina
- SaskBuilds Corporation and the Cypress Regional Health Authority on real estate matters related to the Swift Current Long-Term Care Facility Project, a public-private procured $100m+, 225 bed long-term care facility in Swift Current, Saskatchewan
- Canada Lands Company CLC Limited in the phased development of Glenlyon Business Park, and subsequent disposition to Beedie Group, as well as the phased re-development of Canadian Forces Base Chilliwack into the mixed-use 153-acre Garrison Crossing development and the 43-acre River’s Edge residential community, Chilliwack, BC
- Porte Communities in connection with the numerous residential developments, including the "Origin" and "Lift" developments on long-term leased lands at Simon Fraser University’s innovative UniverCity master planned community, Burnaby, BC
- Eagle Landing Development Limited Partnership, in connection with the development of the 700,000-sq.-ft. Eagle Landing centre and retail village, Squiala First Nation reserve, Chilliwack, BC
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2017: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Commercial Leasing Law, Environmental Law and Real Estate Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2016: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Commercial Leasing Law, Environmental Law and Real Estate Law
- Legal 500 Canada, 2015: Recommended lawyer in the area of Environment
- Contributing editor, CLE BC, Commercial Leasing Annotated Precedents, since 2016.
- Contributing editor, CLE BC, environmental law chapter, Advising BC Businesses, since 2015.
- Co-author, environmental law chapter for Canada in Practical Law Company Cross-Border Environment Handbook, 2012.
- "Amendments to BC Contaminated Sites Regime," Canadian Environmental Conference & Tradeshow (CANECT), Mississauga, ON, May 1, 2017.
- "Real Estate and Environmental Law Issues in an M&A Transaction," M&A Deal Series, Vancouver, BC, February 14, 2017.
- "Landlord and Tenant Collaboration in Sustainable Buildings" (moderator), Vancouver Real Estate Strategy & Leasing Conference, Vancouver, BC, 2016.
- "Partnering with First Nations," Urban Development Institute, Vancouver, BC, 2015.
- BC Business Council – Environmental Policy Advisory Group
- BC Environment Industry Association
- International Bar Association, Section on Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law, Environment, Health and Safety Law Committee, and Real Estate Section
- Canadian Bar Association - National Environmental, Energy & Resources Law, Real Property & Environmental Subsections, BC Branch
- Canadian Environmental Law Forum
- Urban Development Institute
Publication | March 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | February 2019
Publication | November 2018