Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Max Collett is a leading real property, planning and environmental lawyer with a keen interest in the development of sustainable cities. Mr. Collett provides timely and practical advice to public and private sector clients on a diverse range of projects, including the remediation and re-development of industrial brownfield sites, development of healthcare-related facilities, complex mixed-use strata developments and commercial joint ventures on First Nations lands. He regularly assists on property, environmental and indigenous consultation-related matters for public infrastructure and institutional projects, including those undertaken pursuant to public-private partnerships. Mr. Collett advises commercial and industrial clients on all aspects of regulatory compliance with environmental laws. He is contributing editor to numerous property and environmental law publications.
Mr. Collett has held numerous senior management positions, including past executive, vice-chair of the business law group and the chair of the environmental law practice group.
LL.B., Dalhousie University, 1996
Judicial Law Clerk, British Columbia Supreme Court 1996-1997
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1992
- British Columbia 1998
Mr. Collett's experience includes:
- Counsel (real property and environmental law) on legal team advising the province of British Columbia on the Broadway Subway Project, Vancouver, BC
- Counsel to numerous shipyard, tug boat and marine terminal operators in respect of leases with the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority and Transport Canada, environmental permitting associated with expansion of operations, spill response planning and regulatory compliance
- Counsel (British Columbia) (real property and environmental law) on legal team advising the purchaser of a portfolio of hydroelectric generating assets located in British Columbia
- Counsel to one of Canada's largest telecommunications companies, advising on a range of complex property-related matters from rural leasehold interests on First Nation lands to remediation of contaminated sites
- Counsel to Fraser Health Authority, Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, Vancouver Island Health Authority, Providence Health Care and Provincial Health Services Authority on numerous lease mandates in relation to the provision of health care, as well as hospital, care facility and "campus of care" projects, including through build-to-suit and lease-back and public-private partnership structures, amongst others
- Counsel to the Porte group of companies in connection with establishing and advising real estate investment limited partnerships and managing the acquisition and development of commercial real estate portfolios, as well as counsel on numerous residential developments, including the "Origin" and "Lift" on long-term leased lands at Simon Fraser University's innovative UniverCity master planned community, Burnaby, BC
- Counsel to Cineplex Entertainment with respect to retrofit of existing, and construction of new, entertainment facilities, including a 44,000-square-foot, 11-screen facility constructed on top of an existing shopping centre in West Vancouver, BC
- Counsel to Tsawwassen Development Power Centre Limited Partnership in connection with a 99-year land lease, and the construction, finance and lease of Tsawwassen Commons, a landmark 550,000-sq.-ft. retail development in Tsawwassen, BC, together with the related leasing program
- Counsel to BC Pavilion Corporation in the development of the Vancouver Convention Centre West, together with an integrated development of a seaplane terminal, leasing of retail premises, and construction of a marina
- Counsel to Canada Lands Company CLC Limited in the phased development of Glenlyon Business Park, and subsequent disposition, as well as the phased re-development of Canadian Forces Base Chilliwack into the mixed-use 153-acre Garrison Crossing development and the 43-acre River’s Edge residential community, Chilliwack, BC
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2018-2019: recommended in Environmental Law; Infrastructure Law (Leading Lawyer)
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012 to date: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Commercial Leasing Law, Environmental Law and Real Estate Law
- Legal 500 Canada, 2014-2015: Recommended lawyer in the area of Environment
- Author, Hazmat Magazine, British Columbia intends to improve waste soil relocation regulations, March 24, 2019
- Contributing editor, CLE BC, Commercial Leasing Annotated Precedents, since 2016.
- Contributing editor, CLE BC, environmental law chapter, Advising BC Businesses, since 2015.
- Co-author, environmental law chapter for Canada in Practical Law Company Cross-Border Environment Handbook, 2012
- "Buying and Selling Contaminated Lands", Pacific Business & Law Institute, Vancouver, BC, October 2019.
- "Drafting the Deal: Words Matter," CLE BC Contaminated Land Clean Up Costs, February 2018.
- "Amendments to BC Contaminated Sites Regime," Canadian Environmental Conference & Tradeshow (CANECT), Mississauga, ON, May 1, 2017.
- "Real Estate and Environmental Law Issues in an M&A Transaction," M&A Deal Series, Vancouver, BC, February 14, 2017.
- "Landlord and Tenant Collaboration in Sustainable Buildings" (moderator), Vancouver Real Estate Strategy & Leasing Conference, Vancouver, BC, 2016.
- "Partnering with First Nations," Urban Development Institute, Vancouver, BC, 2015.
- BC Business Council – Environmental Policy Advisory Group
- BC Environment Managers Association of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association - National Environmental, Energy & Resources Law, Real Property & Environmental Subsections, BC Branch, past chair of Environmental Law Subsection, BC Branch
- Canadian Environmental Law Forum
- Member, Governance Committee, Cassie & Friends: A Society for Children with Juvenile Arthritis and other Rheumatic Diseases
Publication | October 11, 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | February 2019