Managing Partner, Vancouver
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Building on her experience and knowledge from years spent in corporate development and legal roles within industry, Janet Grove helps clients in the technology and health sciences sectors – IT, health sciences, telecommunications and clean-tech. She is sought out for her expertise and business approach to structuring and negotiating both merger and acquisition transactions and complex commercial relationships to develop, commercialize and acquire technology. This includes assisting with a variety of research and development, supply and licensing arrangements and developing and advising on novel programs and collaborations involving technology.
Ms. Grove's client base includes a wide range of organizations from early-stage technology and biotechnology clients, to large public and private companies, educational institutions, healthcare authorities, hospitals and research institutions throughout Canada.
Part scientist, business person and lawyer, Ms. Grove has advised on some of BC's most significant technology transactions and brings a depth of understanding to complex transactions that clients find invaluable. Having worked for eight years in-house at QLT Inc., a global biopharmaceutical company listed on the TSX and NASDAQ, she also appreciates the ever-expanding role of corporate counsel and how best to support clients in those roles. While at QLT, she held the position of vice-president and corporate counsel, corporate secretary and business ethics officer of QLT, providing legal advice to the board and management of QLT on all aspects of the business, including corporate and technology acquisitions and divestures, issues related to research, clinical and pharmaceutical manufacturing projects and agreements. During her years at QLT, Ms. Grove was also senior director of corporate development, gaining experience from both a business and legal perspective in sourcing and negotiating technology transactions.
Ms. Grove is the managing partner of the Vancouver office, serves on our national management committee, and is the Canadian head of our life sciences and healthcare industry practice.
- British Columbia 1993
- Acted as Canadian counsel for QLT Inc. (now Novelion Therapeutics Inc.) in the merger agreement with Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and concurrent equity financing
- Counsel to Accel-Rx Health Sciences Accelerator Society, the first Canadian federally funded organization focused on maximizing new health sciences company creation in Canada
- Counsel to leading automotive hydrogen fuel cell developer AFCC Automotive Fuel Cell Cooperative Corp., a joint venture established by Daimler AG and Ford Motor Company
- Advising on fibre-swap, fibre-sharing and fibre-licensing arrangements for both the public and private sector
- Advising health authorities and residential care facilities in British Columbia on large group physician service contracts and care arrangements
- Acted as Canadian counsel to QLT in its negotiation of a merger agreement with InSite Vision
- Represented CDRD Ventures Inc. in the sale of Kairos Therapeutics Inc. to Zymeworks
- Acted as Canadian counsel to QLT Inc. in the sale of certain of its dermatology portfolio to Valocor Therapeutics (later acquired by Dermira)
- Counsel to a major ship designer in connection with licensing its designs to shipyards in connection with many different international ship-building projects
- Represented TELUS in its acquisition of Med Access Inc., an electronic medical records provider
- Canada's Most Powerful Women: WXN Top 100 Awards, 2017
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Biotechnology Law and Corporate Law, 2016-2017
British Columbia Bar Association
Cabinet Committee, United Way Campaign, Vancouver
Former member of the board of directors of STX Marine Inc. (now Vard Marine Inc.)
Licensing Executives Society
Former director, Canadian Business for Social Responsibility
Former chairman and director, St. John Ambulance, Vancouver Branch
Current board member of Canada's Auditing and Assurance Standards Oversight Council