David M. Hunter
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
David M. HuntervCard
Related services and key industries
David Hunter practises securities, corporate and natural resources law. He has acted for a broad range of public and private companies, as well as institutional venture capital investors and local governments. Mr. Hunter advises on public and private equity and debt financings, takeover bids, acquisitions, arrangements and mergers, with a particular focus on mineral resource companies. He also advises public company clients on a variety of corporate and securities law issues including regulatory compliance, disclosure and corporate governance.
Mr. Hunter has acted for corporations in various sectors, including mining, oil and gas, forestry, telecommunications, manufacturing, and chemical processing. His recent projects include a "go-public" transaction by a retirement home developer and operator, advising on the disposition of significant BC-based coal assets, and the structuring and financing of an international unconventional oil and gas E&P company. In addition, he has ongoing engagements advising TSX and TSX Venture Exchange companies on securities law compliance, financing and M&A transactions; local governments on commercial utility and infrastructure projects to better leverage public assets; and venture capital fund managers on the formation and organization of venture capital funds, and on fund investments.
Mr. Hunter handles all aspects of private and public venture capital financing, and prepares various commercial agreements for resource industry, technology, and local government clients, including share and asset purchase agreements, joint venture agreements, royalty agreements, shareholders agreements, management and consulting agreements, option agreements, investment agreements, and bulk commodity supply agreements. In addition, he advises clients on BC mineral title maintenance, tenure disputes, due diligence issues and reclamation obligations, disputes, due diligence issues and reclamation obligations.
Before his career in law Mr. Hunter worked for five years as a commercial lending and risk management officer with a major Canadian bank, principally serving clients in the service and resource development sectors.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1994
M.A., Economics, Carleton University, 1991
B.A., Economics and Business Administration, Simon Fraser University, 1989
- British Columbia 1995
Mr. Hunter has acted for the following clients:
- Canada Development Investment Corporation with its management of the Dominion Coal Blocks
- Element Lifestyle Retirement Inc. in its reverse takeover of Sonoma Resources Ltd.
- San Antonio Ventures Inc. on the amalgamation with R2 Energy Ltd. to form Renaissance Oil Corp.
- Rainy River Resources Ltd. in a bought-deal short-form prospectus financing
- Atna Resources Ltd. in the acquisition from Pinson Mining Company (a subsidiary of Barrick Gold Corporation) of an additional 70% interest in the Pinson Mine, giving Atna 100% control of the high-grade Nevada gold resource
- Realm Energy International Corporation in the completion of its $146 million business acquisition by San Leon Energy plc.
- The board of directors of Atna Resources Ltd. in its successful defence of a hostile proxy battle at its 2011 annual general meeting
- Pediment Gold Corp. in its $137 million acquisition by Argonaut Gold Inc.
- Yaletown Ventures in organizing and financing its new $120 million venture capital fund
- Rainy River Resources in connection with a $75 million bought-deal financing
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Banking and finance; Private equity; Mergers and acquisitions, 2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate Governance Practice, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Mining Law, Natural Resources Law, Securities Law, 2014-2021
- Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association - Securities & Corporate Law Section, BC Branch
- Museum of Mining, Britannia Beach Historical Society
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
October 30, 2020
January 02, 2020
September 04, 2018