Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Richard Sarabando's practice focuses on all aspects of commercial law with a particular emphasis on advising clients on banking, corporate lending, acquisition finance, infrastructure and project finance, mezzanine finance, structured finance, asset-based lending and real estate finance transactions. His involvement in a wide variety of transactions in these areas includes financing the acquisition and development of commercial real estate, financing the acquisition of businesses, including share purchases and asset purchase transactions, and re-financing and re-structuring of major loans.
Mr. Sarabando advises financial institutions, institutional lenders and borrowers on senior and subordinated, secured and unsecured, bilateral and syndicated financing transactions covering a wide range of commercial matters. Recent transactions involve significant financings in the forestry industry, marine port industry, real estate development, care home development and operation, manufacturing, knowledge-based industries, as well as tax-driven film financing transactions.
He has been involved in many cross-border loan transactions involving credit facilities and security in foreign jurisdictions.
LL.B., Queen's University, 1997
B.A. (Hons.), Queen's University, 1994
- British Columbia 1999
Mr. Sarabando has acted in the following matters:
- Ontario Sports Solutions Limited Partnership, the successful consortium consisting of Bouygues Building Canada Inc. and Kenadian Contracting Ltd., in connection with the $200 million design-build-finance P3 contract for the reconstruction of Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton, the construction of a new athletics stadium at York University, a new cycling Velodrome in Milton, ON, and two running tracks in Toronto, all for use during the 2015 Toronto Pan American Games
- Acting for the lenders to the successful consortium on the Interior Heart and Surgical Centre Project in Kelowna, BC.
- Counsel to a syndicate of lenders in connection with credit facilities in the amount of $200 million to a large forestry company with operations in Canada and in the US for operating purposes and for purposes of completing an acquisition of assets
- Counsel to a syndicate of lenders in connection with $325 million committed revolving credit facilities in favour of a large forestry client
- Counsel to the lender in the $65 million financing to Real Estate Investment Trust regarding hotel properties in British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec
- Counsel to a syndicate of lenders in respect of credit facilities in favour of corporations representing the consortia of airlines that operate aircraft fueling operations in airports at Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal and Halifax
- Counsel to RBC Dominion Securities in bond financings for the airport operations in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal
- Counsel to lending syndicates in connection with credit facilities in the amount of US$85 million made available in the US and Canada in connection with the acquisition of the shares of holding entities that control Imperial Parking
- Counsel to a lender in several financings to various companies in connection with the acquisition of a shopping mall in Regina, Saskatchewan; a parking lot in Calgary, Alberta; and a commercial building in Vancouver, British Columbia
- Counsel to a Canadian chartered bank in a financing of the construction and operation of care home facilities in British Columbia
- Best Lawyers, recognized in asset-based lending
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association - Banking Law Section, BC Branch
- Law Society of British Columbia