E. Jane Milton, QC
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
E. Jane Milton, QCvCard
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jane Milton acts as counsel in the area of civil litigation with a practice focus on insolvency law, estate and trust law, and corporate/commercial matters. She has appeared before all levels of the court system in British Columbia, and has also acted as counsel in numerous mediations and arbitrations. Ms. Milton has been recognized by her peers as a leading lawyer in the areas of insolvency and financial restructuring, and wealth preservation.
In her insolvency and restructuring practice, she has acted for lenders for both corporate and personal claims and has appeared as defense counsel in actions involving lender liability, breach of trust, bankruptcy proceedings and actions brought pursuant to the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act. She has acted as defense counsel for several financial institutions in a number of class action proceedings. She has also acted as counsel for receivers, monitors and trustees in bankruptcy, and for directors and officers in insolvency proceedings.
In addition to her insolvency litigation practice, Ms. Milton has also developed an extensive practice in the area of trust and estate litigation. She has acted as counsel for individual and professional executors, administrators and trustees in numerous disputes relating to the validity of wills, the interpretation of trusts and wills, wills variation claims, and administration of estates and trusts. She has also acted for individual beneficiaries, and other claimants in litigation governed by British Columbia's Wills Variation Act, and Trust and Settlement Variation Act and other estate or trust related litigation.
Ms. Milton has lectured on numerous occasions on insolvency and estate/trust related topics, and is the author of a number of papers. She was awarded her designation as Queen's Counsel in 2008.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1983
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1979
- British Columbia 1984
Ms. Milton has acted as counsel for:
- The receiver for Vancouver's Olympic village
- Bear Mountain Master Partnership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016-2019: recommended in Estate & Personal Tax Planning - Estate Litigation
- 2017 Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate + Commercial Litigation, Insolvency + Financial Restructuring Law and Trusts + Estates
- 2016 Best Lawyers in Canada: Named the "2016 Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Trusts and Estates for Vancouver
- 2016 Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, and Trusts and Estates
- CLEBC’s Most Prolific Volunteers (1996 to 2016): Recognized as prolific contributor
- 2015 Legal 500 Canada: Recommended lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution
- LexisNexis - Martindale-Hubbell: BV Peer Review Rated
- Expert Guides - Guide to the World's Leading Trusts & Estates Practitioners: Recognized as a leading practitioner in the area of Trust & Estate Law
- Canadian Bar Association
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners