Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Colleen Abel is a corporate and commercial lawyer in our Calgary office, with a practice that primarily focuses on energy and natural resources. In addition to her energy practice, Colleen also has broad experience in providing general advice and assistance to clients across a variety of industries, including financial, consumer goods and technology, and provides support to clients and our team in relation to M&A employment matters.
She has extensive experience in interpreting, preparing and negotiating transactional documents, transportation and marketing arrangements, joint ventures and general commercial agreements that impact the day-to-day operations of our clients. Colleen was an articling student and associate with us, after which she spent four years working at an intermediate oil and gas producer as in-house counsel where she gained valuable experience, across all areas of the business, that she has been able to incorporate into her practice and advice to clients.
Since returning to us, Colleen has used the insight she acquired in-house to take a collaborative and business-oriented approach to her engagements with clients and aims to find practical and workable solutions.
- Alberta 2010
- Brookfield Infrastructure on its acquisition of Enbridge's Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business in the Montney, Peace River Arch, Horn River and Liard basins in BC and Alberta for C$4.3 billion
- A privately held oil and gas company with a multi-well farmin and option agreement, with a publicly traded farmor, targeting the East Duvernay resource play in Alberta
- Mocal Energy Limited (a wholly owned subsidiary of JX Nippon Oil and Gas Exploration Corporation) in connection with its US$730 million disposition of a 5% participating interest in the Syncrude oilsands project to Suncor Energy Ventures Partnership
- Paramount Resources' asset sale to Strath Resources for approximately C$350 million and its corporate acquisition of Apache Canada Ltd. in a transaction valued at C$459.5 million
- PETRONAS Carigali Canada Ltd. in connection with: (i) its C$5.8 billion acquisition of Progress Energy Resources Corp.; and (ii) its C$1.1 billion acquisition of shale gas assets from Progress Energy Resources Corp.
- Advising and acting for clients on domestic oil and gas matters and transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, title review, royalty issues and oil and gas leasing matters
- Drafting and negotiating domestic energy-related agreements, including purchase and sale agreements, royalty agreements and joint venture agreements
- Drafting and advising on various commercial agreements, including loan/security agreements, services agreements and confidentiality agreements
- Advising receiver-managers, monitors, trustees and secured creditors in insolvency proceedings with respect to corporate matters and transactions concerning energy-related companies, including drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements and other commercial agreements
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Board of directors, Kids Up Front Foundation (Calgary)