Partner, Trademark Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Mark Davis is an accomplished intellectual property litigator. He is certified as a specialist in intellectual property (patents/trademarks/copyright) by the Law Society of Ontario. Mark has significant experience in trademark and patent litigation, including proceedings under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations, as well as in anti-counterfeiting, trade secret and breach of confidence, copyright and industrial design disputes. Mark has successfully argued numerous precedent-setting intellectual property cases at trial and on appeal.
Described as a "gifted appellate and trial lawyer" who "inspires confidence" and provides "smart and practical" advice, Mark is consistently recognized by clients and peers for both his trademark and patent litigation skills in publications such as LEXPERT, IAM Patent 1000, WTR Trademark 1000, IP Stars and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Mark is also a registered trademark agent who designs brand strategies and manages trademark portfolios for some of the world's largest companies.
Mark is the chair of Norton Rose Fulbright's Toronto intellectual property practice.
A prolific writer and popular speaker, Mark has taken active leadership roles in many important professional associations for intellectual property law in Canada and the United States.
Prior to practising law, Mark taught elementary school at The Children's Storefront, a not-for-profit, tuition-free school in Harlem, New York.
- Ontario 2001
- Canada (trademarks) 2003
- Amgen Inc. v. Pfizer Canada ULC, 2020 FC 522 affirmed 2020 FCA 188 - successfully represented Pfizer in first the first trial under Canada's new Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations. Pfizer obtained approval for its biosimilar NYVESTIM in Canada
- McCain Foods Limited v. J.R. Simplot Company, 2019 FC 1635 – representing McCain Foods in patent litigation relating to pulsed electric field technology
- J.R. Simplot Company v. McCain Foods Limited – Court File No. T-569-17 – represented McCain Foods in an industrial design infringement action relating to the design of twisted potato products
- The Clorox Company – representing Clorox in Canadian litigation and brand strategy
- Bayer Inc. v. Fresenius Kabi Canada Ltd., 2016 FC 581 and 2016 FC 970 – obtained an order under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations preventing approval of generic equivalent to Bayer's AVELOX I.V. product – this decision is significant because it is one of the rare times a prohibition order was granted on the basis that the notice of allegation was insufficient
- Canadian Urban Transit Association v. Dovden Investments Ltd. Federal Court File No. T-1337-13 – precedent-setting case – successfully argued that the Canadian Urban Transit Association, an industry association, had standing to bring a patent impeachment proceeding in a representative capacity on behalf of its members against the defendant, Dovden, a non-practicing entity [patent troll]
- Denturist Group of Ontario v. Denturist Association of Canada, 2014 FC 989 – successful application to expunge certain trademark and copyright registrations that were being asserted by the Denturist Association of Canada and the Denturist Association of Ontario against members of a rival professional organization
- Meyer Housewares Canada Inc. ats. Bodum USA, Inc., 2012 FC 1450; affirmed 2013 FCA 240 – successfully argued eight-day trademark infringement, passing off and depreciation of goodwill case – counterclaim successfully resulted in FRENCH PRESS trademark being declared invalid – marshalled overwhelming fact and expert evidence showing that French Press did not function as a trademark
- Michael Kors, LLC v. Beyond the Rack Enterprises Inc., 2012 FC 1355; affirmed Beyond the Rack Enterprises Inc v. Kors, 2013 FCA 107 – trademark infringement, passing off, depreciation of goodwill, unfair competition and copyright action on behalf of Michael Kors against unauthorized Internet reseller – precedent setting Federal Court of Appeal case established that "...as a practical matter BTR may well be unable to defeat MK's claims by simply asserting that it acquired the goods from an authorized distributor, without producing any supporting evidence..."
- Timbercon, Inc. ats Oz Optics Limited, 2011 ONCA 714 – appeal from successful trial judgment (2010 ONSC 310) in defence of breach of confidence action – the Ontario Court of Appeal reversed the trial judge on the limited issue of negligent misrepresentation
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2015- 2021: recommended in Intellectual Property; Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Intellectual Property Law, 2014-2021
- IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Professionals, 2013-2020
- WTR 1000 – Guide to the World's Leading Trademark Professionals, 2014-2021
- IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property, 2015-2020 (Patent Star - patent litigation and Trademark Star - trademark litigation)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada - Patents 2020
- “Trademark Disputes,” Lexis Practice Advisor® Canada, Intellectual Property and Technology Module – practical online resource for lawyers includes precedents, checklists, practice notes and more.
- “Trade-mark Litigation,” Intellectual Property Litigation Forms and Precedents, Toronto: LexisNexis, 2016.
- “2015 Patent Law Year in Review,” 20th Annual Intellectual Property Law: The Year in Review, Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, January 21, 2016.
- “Canadian Law of Industrial Design,” Canadian Copyright/Industrial Designs Benchbook, Toronto: Carswell, 2015.
- “Copyright Law in Canada - Similar But Not the Same,” Landslide (publication of the American Bar Association’s section of intellectual property law), May/June 2012.
- “Disclaimer, Dedication and Duty of Good Faith: A Review of Some Recent Decisions and Their Impact on Canadian Patent Litigation,” Canadian Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 27, 2011.
- “Holding Patentees to Account: Utility and the Promise of a Patent,” Canadian Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2011.
- “ACTA moving forward as more details released - the proposed Anti- Counterfeiting Trade Agreement,” Internet and E-commerce Law in Canada, September 20, 2010.
- “Re-Evaluating the Test for Obviousness - Anything but Obvious or at Least 'Obvious to Try’,” Canadian Intellectual Property Review, 2007 Volume 13, No. 3.
- "Summary Judgment and Summary Trial in Patent Cases," University of Toronto's 9th Annual Patent Colloquium, November 20, 2020.
- "Financing Strategies for IP-Rich Companies," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, November 26, 2020.
- "COVID-19 & IP Practice: Insurance and Employment Issues," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, April 14, 2020.
- "Where the Shoe Pinches: The Search for Efficient Patent Trials," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, February 15, 2019.
- "Confusion about Confusion: Unpacking the Wenger Decision," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, January 22, 2018.
- "Anticipation," Patent Case Law Review, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- "Commencing Trademark Litigation," Intellectual Property Litigation, Ontario Bar Association, Toronto, November 22, 2016.
- "The Art (But Mostly Science) of Cross-Examination in PM(NOC) Proceedings," Pharma and Biosimilar Litigation in Canada – Navigating the PM(NOC) Regulations, Ontario Bar Association, Toronto, October 5, 2016.
- "2015 Patent Law Year in Review," Law Society of Upper Canada's 20th Annual Intellectual Property Law: The Year in Review, Toronto, January 21, 2016.
- "Taking it Down: Remedies Involving Internet Intermediaries" (panel moderator), 89th IPIC AGM, Banff, Alberta, October 15, 2015
- American Bar Association
- ABA Intellectual Property Law Books Editorial Board
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Vice-chair, Continuing Professional Development Committee
- The Advocates' Sociecy
- Canadian Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Trademark Litigation Committee
Webinar | May 19, 2021
Webinar | 2020
Webinar | October 15, 2020
Webinar | June 11, 2020