Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Matt McKeown is a corporate and commercial lawyer in our Brisbane office. He has a strong focus on equity and capital markets, mergers and acquisitions transactions and regulatory and corporate advice.
Matt has extensive experience in advising both domestic and multinational companies on a broad range of matters, including initial public offerings, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, capital raisings, private equity investment, joint ventures and corporate structuring, acquisition and divestment. He has been involved in structuring, documenting and managing a wide range of transactions involving the sale or purchase of public and private companies, joint ventures and other types of private equity transactions.
Matt also has experience in advising private, public and government owned corporations on regulatory issues, corporate governance, competition law and ASX and ASIC compliance.
Previously, Matt has worked as In-house Counsel with the Queensland State Government, where he advised on strategic developments and amendments to Queensland legislation and policy.
Bachelor of Laws (Hons Class 1)
Bachelor of Commerce (Finance & Accounting)
Grad Dip Legal Practice
- High Court of Australia 2016
- Supreme Court of Queensland 2007
Mergers and Acquisitions & Equity and Capital Markets
- Acted for Omni Market Tide (ASX:OMT) on its proposed $85M acquisition and reverse takeover, including $35M capital raising.
- Acted for P2P Transport Limited (ASX:P2P) on its $100M IPO.
- Acted for RightCrowd Limited (ASX:RCW) on its $40M IPO.
- Acted for Autmotive Solutions Group (ASX:4WD) on its successful hostile Takeover Defence strategy.
- Acted for AIG in relation to providing W&I Insurance on a number of large M&A transactions including the $1.25B acquisition of the I-Med Medical and Diagnostic Imaging Network, the $400M acquisition of La Trobe Financial, and the $43M acquisition of a well-known health and fitness club.
- Acted for Cape Byron Management, a renewable energy company in relation to its major share subscription in Energy Locals, an electricity retailer.
- Acted for Pilot Energy in relation to the sale of its offshore petroleum tenements WA-507-P.
- Acted for Hailiang Group in its $100M bid for the Bindaree Beef Joint Venture.
- Acted for a large, multinational sustainable and renewable energy projects company in relation to its multimillion dollar corporate restructure.
- Acted for a renewable energy conglomorate in relation to the acquisition of an electricity retailer.
- Acted for Port of Townsville in its ACCC authorisation submissions.
- Advising a range of private, public and government clients in relation to various corporate and commercial matters, including including IPOs, capital raisings, private placements, schemes of arrangement, divestments, acquisitions, restructures, back-door listings, takeovers, regulatory issues, corporate governance, competition law and ASX and ASIC compliance.
- Drafting a wide range of transaction and commercial documents including share sale agreements, shareholder agreements, IP licence agreements and corporate restructure documentation.
- Providing quality & timely legal advice to Ministers, Directors-General, Chief Counsel and other senior public officers across six state departments.
- Advising clients on the strategic development of legislation and policy, including providing legal support to facilitate the implementation of new State policies and drafting and reviewing new legislation.
- Representing the State's interests in Supreme Court actions and other litigious or contentious matters.
- Advising on amendments to the Water Act, Land Act, Forestry Act and Mineral Resources legislation in Queensland.