Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
- Investment funds
- Funds and asset management
- Financial services and regulation
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Private equity and venture capital
- Regulation and investigations
Key industry sectors
Jon Ireland leads the Asia Pacific funds and asset management practice at Norton Rose Fulbright. He is also Australia head of financial services. Jon is a leading corporate and financial services lawyer based in Sydney, specialising in asset management, financial services regulation and investments.
Jon provides advice to domestic Australian and international financial services clients on the full range of corporate, commercial and regulatory issues facing these businesses. He has considerable experience advising asset managers on strategic initiatives, including funds M&A, complex transactions, entering the Australian market and large regulatory projects.
Jon's experience includes advising on day-to-day issues affecting asset managers and superannuation funds, including licensing, fund structuring, disclosure, investment management and distribution arrangements. He has particular expertise in the area of cross-border investment and regularly advises on mandates and allocations to on-shore and offshore pooled investment vehicles.
He has advised a global fund manager on the establishment of $2bn and $5bn fund-of-one registered schemes as part of the expansion of its Australian business. He has also advised a large superannuation fund on the restructuring of its product and advice offering. Jon's experience also includes advising on the establishment and growth of the Australian operations of global groups including pension funds, fund managers and asset consultants.
Jon is also actively involved in advising on current law reforms and industry initiatives. This includes the foreign financial services provider exemptions, carbon trading and the Asian Region Funds Passport. Jon is a regular participant on government and peak industry body working groups and has experience working with ASIC and Treasury on material policy development.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- LLM, University of New South Wales (2012)
- BA (Hons), University of Oxford (1997)
- Admitted as a solicitor England and Wales 2001
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2004
- Finalist: Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards (Financial Services) 2017
- Financial Services Council Industry Excellence Award, 2016 and 2018
- Recognised in Investment Funds by Chambers Asia-Pacific, since 2012
- Listed as an expert in Funds Management in Best Lawyers, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 and in Investments 2017 and 2018
ASIC's 10 May Greenwashing update
Publication | May 22, 2023
Financial services monthly wrap-up: April 2023
Publication | May 17, 2023
Financial Services Regulatory Developments in ESG
Publication | May 16, 2023