Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Julia Kampouridi is an antitrust and competition lawyer based in Brussels.
Julia advises clients on all aspects of EU competition law, including merger control, State aid, public procurement and antitrust. She has particular experience in advising both public authorities and multinational companies, with a particular focus on the energy sector, in relation to a range of public procurement and State aid issues. Julia also advises on all matters of EU regulatory law and trade, including on issues involving sanctions, and export control.
Prior to joining the firm, Julia gained experience at international law firms in Brussels and at the EU General Court, within the chambers of the President of the Eighth Chamber. During her traineeships at the European Commission within the Directorate General for Competition and at the Competition and Markets Authority in London, Julia gained practical experience working inside competition authorities.
LL.M., Business Law Certificate & International Law Certificate, University of California, Berkeley, High Honours, 2012-2013
LLB Law with European Legal Studies, King's College London, Upper Second Class Honours (2.1), 2008-2012
Diplôme Notions fondamentales de droit international, européen et comparé, University of Strasbourg, 2010-2011
- Attorney at Law, admitted in New York 2014
- Solicitor, qualified in Ireland 2019
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 2019
- A Polish electricity producer and supplier - on State aid issues in relation to the development of offshore wind projects in Poland.
- A multinational energy company - on State aid and public procurement issues in relation to the development of offshore wind projects in Greece.
- A Dutch public body - in the design of measures regarding onshore wind projects in line with the EU State aid legal framework.
- RWE Group - on the set-up of a joint venture for the development of renewable energy projects in Greece. Joint venture partner is PPCR, a subsidiary of PPC, Greece's leading power generation company; the majority shareholder of PPC is the Hellenic Republic. As the matter involved a state-owned joint venture partner, particular focus had to be on regulatory requirements. We advise on the potential application of, and compliance with State aid (subsidy control) rules, which involves complex questions of law and fact.
- A UK utilities company - on public procurement issues, including on the application of the Utilities Contracts Regulations 2016 and in particular the potential exemptions set out in these regulations, and the interplay with issues arising under company law.
- An energy management, fuel supply and sustainability company - on their participation to Aspire Housing's public procurement procedure for an energy services provider, who will act as an agent to establish and manage a dynamic purchasing system (DPS) on its behalf. Advised on the developments in public procurement in relation to framework agreements and the effects of Brexit in this context, and also provided a comparative study of framework agreements and DPS in the UK, including advantages and disadvantages. Advised on the public procurement law aspects of the agreements under the DPS, which was established last year. This matter is of a strategic importance in the UK, where use of the DPS is not widespread although the number of public authorities choosing to implement the DPS is now starting to increase. To the best of our knowledge, this type of agency agreement will be one of the first such agreements in this field.
Michael Jürgen Werner, Julia Kampouridi, & Caio Prado Rocha, "A global sulphur cap and a carriage ban to match: considerations on the IMO 2020 prohibition on the carriage of non-compliant fuel" (2020) 23(1) ZEuS Zeitschrift für Europarechtliche Studien 77-102
Michael Jürgen Werner, Julia Kampouridi, & Laura Ryzgelyte, "Undertakings caught in the crossfire: US sanctions on Iran vs. the EU Blocking Regulation and possible compensation as State aid" (2019) ERA Forum 63-79
Ioulia Kampouridi, "Arguments For EU-US Convergence and Against A Global Merger Regime" (2015) 38 World Competition 105-130
Ioulia Kampouridi, "Section 18 of the European Union Act 2011: A Stand against Europe or a Ploy to Limit the Judiciary's Power?" (2013) 3(1) Warwick Student Law Review 55-70
Publication | September 29, 2023
Publication | September 21, 2023
Publication | January 31, 2023