Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Patrick Colegrave (English Solicitor) is a lawyer based in Africa who sits in our banking and finance team.
He has been active on the African continent for several years, advising on inbound investments through a wide range of investment structures and vehicles including private equity, permanent capital entities, joint venture arrangements and open-ended funds. He has also been involved in the Fintech space advising on the offshore structuring of ICOs and associated regulatory issues.
Patrick was previously a partner in a leading global offshore law firm where he founded and headed up the Africa practice, was responsible for significantly developing their Africa related revenue streams across all practice areas and under his tenure guided them to winning "Offshore Law Firm of the Year" for two successive years at the Africa Global Funds awards. Prior to this, his experience included working in London for a leading international law firm and in-house at a multi-billion dollar asset manager. Patrick has been active in the investment funds space since 1999.
B. Soc Sci (law, economics), The University of Natal, 1993.
LLB, The University of Natal, 1995.
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Lead counsel in the establishment of a private equity fund mandated to invest in the SADC region
- Lead counsel in the restructuring of a long only pan-African hedge fund
- Fund counsel in the due diligence review of a distressed private equity fund complex on behalf of a leading global private equity house considering the purchase of the management rights and advice relating to the same
- Acting for institutional investors (including sovereign development finance institutions) on their proposed investment into a variety of investment structures with differing strategies
- Prior to joining the firm - lead counsel and Cayman Islands counsel in the structuring and establishment of numerous private equity and hedge fund platforms, for established and start-up investment managers from the US, UK, Africa and Asia, including the establishment of a pan-African private equity fund of funds structured through the Cayman Islands and managed from South Africa
- Prior to joining the firm - restructuring of numerous distressed funds, including the establishment of synthetic side pockets and liquidation vehicles
- Prior to joining the firm – a Dubai based permanent capital vehicle on its establishment in the British Virgin Islands to include joint venture arrangements between the sponsors
- Prior to joining the firm – WaBi on its initial coin offering from an issuer established in the Cayman Islands.
- The Legal 500: Cayman Islands Investment Funds, 2016 - 2017.
- "Zimbabwe greets a real new dawn after years of uncertainty (Business Live)", Business Day South Africa, 2018.
- "Economic promises thick on the ground in Zimbabwe husting", Sunday Times Zimbabwe Edition 15 July 2018.
- "Investing in Zimbabwe Seminar" – Norton Rose Fulbright, 2018