Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Michael MacIsaac joined our Calgary office as a litigator after practicing for nearly three years at the largest law firm in Atlantic Canada.
Michael represents clients across a multitude of industries, including commercial, insurance, energy, and professional liability. He has acted as defence counsel for large-scale corporations, insurers, financial institutions, and energy regulators. His experience includes trial advocacy, offering advice and direction on risk management, and alternative dispute resolution.
Michael has appeared before both trial and appellate courts in Nova Scotia and Alberta, as well as the Federal Court, administrative tribunals, and arbitrations.
J.D., University of Victoria, 2014
B.A., St. Francis Xavier University, 2010
- Alberta 2018
- Nova Scotia 2016
- Assisting in the arbitration of a defective workmanship claim on a critical piece of healthcare infrastructure
- Assisting in the defence and ultimate settlement of a multi-party claim brought against a container terminal in relation to a major shipping incident
- Defending professional liability claims brought against members of the health, financial and legal sectors
- Providing representation and emergency correspondent services to various cargo and ship owners
- Counsel in various files regarding tort, property loss, and insurance claims
- Howard Petch Scholarship in Law for Highest 2nd Year Standing, 2013
- British Columbia Superior Judges Scholarship for Academic Excellence, 2013
- Crease, Harman and Company Scholarship in Business Law, 2013
- Alexander, Holburn, Beaudin and Lang Scholarship for Community Involvement, 2013
- 2nd Year Prize in Secured Transactions and Trusts, 2013
- Borden Ladner Gervais Professional Excellence Award, 2012
- "Left Sharks and Copy Cats: The Super Bowl's Impact on Protecting a Brand" (co-author: Burtley Francis), February 2016.
- "Sickness, Sickness Everywhere, Nor Any Cure in Sight" (co-author: Peter McLellan), August 2015.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Maritime Law Association
- Canadian Transport Lawyers Association
- Canadian Bar Association (NS) Professional Development Committee, (2016-2018)
- Director, Halifax Sexual Health Centre board of directors, (2016-2018)
- Volunteer Lawyer, reachAbility
- Volunteer Judge, Jessup and Securities Moot Competition
Publication | March 2019
Finding the sweet spot – an SCC recalibration of the irrevocable beneficiary and the remedy for unjust enrichment
Publication | November 2018