Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Michael Cockburn is a corporate and commercial lawyer whose practice emphasizes project financing, mergers and acquisitions, public private partnerships and secured lending transactions. His practice also involves working with scale-ups and innovation companies in the negotiation of research and development agreements, commercialization contracts, corporate governance and securities matters.
Michael works with clients in a variety of sectors, including transit infrastructure, renewable energy, mining, cannabis, and technology, both across Canada and internationally. He has represented both lenders and borrowers in a number of contexts, including major project financings, finance backed acquisitions, and restructurings. From a projects perspective, Michael has represented government authorities, project sponsors, lenders, contractors and suppliers. He also has experience working with both small and institutional clients in connection with the purchase and sales of individual businesses or portfolios of assets.
Michael began his legal career with a national law firm in Ontario's Waterloo region.
- Ontario 2018
Banking and Finance
- Fruta Del Norte – advised Lundin Gold Inc. in the project financing of the Fruta del Norte gold mine project in Ecuador
- Wisokolamson Energy Project – advised Landesbank Baden-Wurttemberg in the provision of a credit facility for the construction and operation of an 18 MW wind farm project near Riverside-Albert, New Brunswick
- Advising Marathon Gold Corp. in connection with the project financing of the Valentine Gold Project in Newfoundland & Labrador
- Advising private and public Canadian companies in connection with the consolidation and restructuring of credit facilities
- Karowe Diamond Mine – advised Lucara Diamond Corp. in connection with obtaining a $220 million project financing for the development of an underground expansion of its Karowe Diamond Mine located in Botswana
- Advised OMERS Infrastructure Management Inc. with the auction and sale of its Ontario hospital and long-term care facility portfolio
- Advised US clients in connection with the acquisition of a number of Canadian technology start-ups and service providers
- Ottawa Stage 2 LRT Project – advised the City of Ottawa with the Trillium Line Extension Project and the Confederation Line Extension Project totalling $4.66 billion in investment
- Energy Services Acquisition Program – advised Public Works and Government Services Canada and the Department of Justice in connection with the $1.03 billion Energy Services Acquisition Program/Energy Service Modernization project
- Scarborough Subway Extension – advised STRABAG Inc. as the successful proponent to design-build and finance the $757 million Advanced Tunnel for the Scarborough Subway Extension project
- Ontario Bar Association