Senior Advisor, Risk Advisory
Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Phil Charlton is a senior risk advisor based in Sydney.
He has almost 30 years' experience working in legal, regulatory and risk management roles in multiple jurisdictions across Asia, Europe and the United Kingdom. He has extensive experience in the areas of operational and non-financial risk in rapidly changing, unpredictable and complex commercial environments.
Phil has worked as a senior regulator and strategist in a number of leadership and executive roles for the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) in Sydney, He has also previously worked as a partner, lawyer and business manager with a global law firm, running finance and capital markets businesses in both developed and developing jurisdictions. A key area of Phil's work in this global space involved advising financial institutions on the strategic, risk, legal and commercial aspects of their key transactions and managing the delivery of services to leading institutional players.
Working as a senior risk consultant within Norton Rose Fulbright's Risk Advisory team, Phil specialises in advising companies and financial institutions on risk and compliance frameworks and the establishment of risk controls. His work also includes advising on governance, conduct and culture; the strategic and practical elements of regulatory engagement; management information and reporting including issue escalation; and the content of associated policies, procedures, codes of conduct and processes that help organisations to effectively mitigate risk.
Phil is recognised for his technical approach and strategic mind-set. His strong co-ordination and communication skills have enabled him to develop robust internal regulatory relationships and he offers clients a unique on-the-ground sense of the conceptual and practical approaches that regulators can take in their supervisory and enforcement responsibilities, as well as how to engage with regulatory bodies in the most effective way.
- MA (Hons) in Law - Trinity Hall, Cambridge University
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales 1989
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2011
- Phil has recently worked with a major manufacturing and distribution firm in Australia assisting it to understand its risk priorities throughout its business operations and to comprehend the variety of risks and associated controls that exist in its various business processes. This work has helped the client to better assess its risk appetite and gain a much better understanding of the key exposures facing its operations and the ways in which they can be better managed.
- Phil has recently provided guidance to the directors and senior management of a leading financial institution based in Australia on key aspects of governance such as the coverage of non-financial risk, accountability and information and on the impact on the organisation of the Australian Banking Executive Accountability Regime (BEAR)
As a regulator and strategic adviser, Phil performed a number of roles for ASIC:
- He worked in and managed the ASIC Corporations team that oversees the vast range of Australian corporate transactions undertaken by regulated entities.
- He acted as a senior lawyer in the Market Supervision and OTC Derivatives area of ASIC including advising on the introduction of, and drafting, new OTC derivative reporting rules that were implemented in the wake of the Global Financial Crisis.
- His most recent role at ASIC was heading up ASIC's International Strategy team that drives ASIC's contribution to the global regulatory agenda, settles ASIC's position on cross-border regulatory issues, and coordinates the international-facing work by teams across ASIC.
As a transaction specialist, Phil acted for banks, lead managers, underwriters, issuers, corporates, sovereigns, trustees and stock exchanges on a wide range of financing and capital raising mandates. These included debt and equity capital markets deals, hybrid issues, regulatory capital financings, liability management and debt restructuring assignments.
Publication | October 02, 2019
Publication | August 23, 2019
Publication | August 05, 2019
Publication | June 14, 2019