Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
James is a specialist environmental lawyer based in Durban. He practises exclusively in a specialist environmental law team.
Prior to joining the practice he worked in the litigation department of a leading Durban property law firm, gaining significant and valuable experience in property law and litigation.
James completed his LLM in environmental law in 2017 focusing on international environmental law. He also has a particular interest in the administrative and regulatory aspects of environmental law and has been involved in advising on and drafting of legal processes relating to various administrative procedures.
James has been involved in a variety of matters relating to environmental law across various sectors including energy, mining and manufacturing. His experience includes conducting due diligence investigations, providing regulatory and commercial advice and drafting of topical environmental updates for both internal and external distribution by clients.
James holds an LLB and LLM in environmental law, and was admitted as an attorney in early 2017.
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa 2017
- Assisting Scatec Solar ASA on all environmental issues in respect of three photovoltaic projects.
- Providing environmental legal advice to Anglo American in respect of various legacy mining sites.
- Conducting a legal due diligence on behalf of Emvelo Holdings Proprietary Limited in respct of energy asset acquisition.
- Providing advice to Enel Green Power SA in relation to a proposed renewable energy development.
- Providing advice to ACTOM (Pty) Limited, Energiser Holdings Inc. and Avery Dennison in respect of waste management and industry waste management plans.
- Assisting various European and international airlines on litigation and dispute resolution processes.
- Conducting a legal due diligence on behalf of Investec Bank Limited and UK Climate Investments in relation to their investment in a dedicated renewable energy private equity investment vehicle.
- Advising a major importer and retailer in relation to various regulatory decisions and engaging with the regulator on their behalf.
- Conducting a detailed environmental due diligence on behalf of Akhona Group Proprietary Limited in its acquisition of a large manufacturing business.
- Providing advice to international maritime insurance underwriters in relation to environmental liability.
- Advising a local municipality on environmental and land use planning matters relating to its opposition towards a mining development, including the drafting of its appeal submissions against the award of the mine's environmental authorisation under the National Environmental Management Act, 1998.
- Assisting Renergen Limited (a South African company which owns and runs South Africa's first and only onshore gas plant) on environmental aspects for a secondary listing on the Australian Stock Exchange.
- Advising local businesses in relation to various regulatory approval processes, including applications for environmental authorisations, and appeals against decisions made by statutory authorities.
Environmental Law Association of South Africa.
International Association of Impact Assessment (South Africa).
Nicola (Network for Contaminated Land).