Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Laura Kiwelu is an energy project finance lawyer based in London.
She focuses on advising developers, lenders, governments and investors on power projects in Africa, in particular for project documents, finance documents and joint development arrangements. She has advised on several first-in-country and other landmark projects in Africa.
Laura previously spent four years as a Director in our Dar es Salaam office. She is a leading lawyer in the IFLR 1000 2017/8 and is quoted in the Legal 500 as having "in-depth experience of the regional power sector which translates into precise and relevant analysis, pertinent suggestions and a strongly commercial approach".
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Advising JCM Power on the power purchase agreement, connection agreement and implementation agreement negotiations for a first-in-country 60MW solar PV project in Malawi, as well as on regulatory issues and project financing arrangements
- Advising Africa GreenCo on the establishment of an intermediary renewable energy trading company in Zambia, including drafting bespoke project documents based on Zambian precedent procurement documents and advising on regulatory issues
- Advising the lenders on the project document aspects of a solar PV and battery storage project in an African small island state
- Advising the developer in respect of two 10MW and 15MW solar PV projects in Cameroon, including on PPA negotiations with Eneo
- Advising a consortium of international and local developers on a 40MW solar PV project in Kenya, including negotiating the PPA with Kenya Power and Lighting Company and negotiating the Government of Kenya letter of support
- Advising the Lesotho Electricity Company on a first in country 20MW solar PV project in Lesotho through the Power Africa scheme
- Advised the Zimbabwe Power Company on the Kariba South 1,050MW hydropower station expansion project, including advising on power purchase agreement negotiations with the Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company and on regulatory issues
- Advised the contractor on negotiations with the Government of Tanzania in respect of a 2,100MW hydropower project in Tanzania, including advising on government support and regulatory issues
- Advising Virunga Power on various aspects of a 2.5MW hydropower and mini-grid project in Tanzania financed by public risk capital from InfraCo Africa, which included drafting a power purchase agreement between the generating company of the hydropower plant and the distribution company of the mini-grid
- Advised the Tanzanian Geothermal Development Company, a state-owned entity, on its strategy, legal, institutional and regulatory framework for the development of its geothermal sector, which is a mandate funded by AfDB through the Climate Investment Fund's scaling up renewable energy programme in low-income countries (SREP)
- Advising an international developer on the acquisition of a 150MW wind farm in Tanzania, including due diligence on project documents and regulatory issues
- Advising the sponsors on the financing and project document aspects of a 342 MW combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) power project in southern Tanzania, including negotiation of the finance documents with the lender consortium and negotiation of the project documents with the lender consortium and relevant Government entities
- Advising the project company on power purchase agreement negotiations and regulatory issues for a 300MW coal fired power station in Mbeya which is being developed by Kibo Energy.