Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Financial services and regulation
- Regulation and investigations
Key industry sectors
Georgia Karamani is a senior associate in the financial services group focused on regulatory law. She has a particular focus on the wholesale sector, advising on a wide range of UK and EU non-contentious regulatory matters, including requirements under financial markets legislation, the scope of the UK regulatory perimeter and the relevant exemptions.
Georgia regularly advises investment firms, commodities houses and credit institutions on the provision of services, the triggers of and requirements under the UK and EU regulation, and the development of new products and business strategies. She has been heavily involved in large Brexit planning projects, firm authorizations and the negotiation of financial services agreements.
Georgia is qualified in Greece and registered in England and Wales.
· Perimeter Analysis, Market Access and Structuring Advice
- Advising an international provider of financial services, infrastructure and market data on the regulatory treatment of new products and the relevant licensing implications.
- Advising unauthorised firms on the regulatory characterisation of transactions that they enter into or products they offer, as well as the availability of exclusions/exemptions, to the extent required.
- Advising an EU MTF on its ability to access UK clients whilst maintaining a single liquidity pool.
- Advising a multinational hedge fund and financial services group on its ability to access and trade on EU markets and service EU-based clients, considering a variety of options, including direct market access, sponsored access, end-of-day swaps or a back-to-back structure.
- Advising a Franco-German financial services group (providing both brokerage and portfolio management services) on the implications of Brexit on its UK offering and assisting it in finalising its post-Brexit operating model.
- Advising a German investment and development bank on the implications of Brexit on its activities in the UK and assisting it in finalising its post-Brexit operating model.
- Advising a multinational investment bank and financial services group on the implications of Brexit on its ability to place funds with UK and EU investors and assisting it in finalising its post-Brexit operating model.
· Financial Markets Regulation
- Advising clients on the scope and application of the derivatives and share trading obligations under the UK and EU legislation.
- Advising clients on the scope and application of the transparency reporting requirements under MiFID II and the corresponding UK legislation.
- Advising clients on the scope and application of the transaction reporting requirements under MiFID II and the corresponding UK legislation.
- Advising clients on the requirements applicable in the context of algorithmic and high frequency trading activities.
- Assisting an international banking group in drafting and finalising the necessary disclosures for the purposes of article 38 of CSDR.
- Advising a global commodities trading house on the application of SFTR and practical implications.
· Commodities and Emissions Trading
- Advising a multinational mining company on the UK regulatory perimeter implications of derivatives trading, including in respect of licensing and the availability of exemptions/exclusions, and providing practical guidance on the triggers of UK regulation.
- Advising an international oil and gas company on the UK and EU regulatory implications of its global derivatives trading and working with the client to develop a compliance manual.
- Advising an international oil and energy company on the scope and application of REMIT and the corresponding UK legislation.
- Advising clients, including an international commodities house, on the regulatory characterisation of mandatory and voluntary emission allowances.
- Advising clients, including a G-SIB banking group, on the legislative changes and practical compliance implications following Brexit.
- Advising investment firm groups on the requirements applicable under IFPR, including in respect of prudential consolidation.
- Advising clients on ad hoc client money queries, including in relation to issues of overpayment.
- Advising clients on the scope and application of the outsourcing requirements.
- Advising clients on issues arising during supervisory engagement with the FCA and the PRA, including in the context of VREQs and relevant remediation exercises.
- Assisting clients with their authorisation applications following perimeter and structuring advice.
- Assisting a UK digital asset MTF in the preparation of its documentation pack, including the rulebook and participant agreement.
- Assisting clients in updating their documentation packs following Brexit, as well as ahead of the MiFID Quick Fix.
Publication | January 17, 2024
Podcast | December 19, 2023
Publication | August 31, 2022