Patent Agent / Canadian Legal Counsel
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Daniel MacKay is a lawyer and patent agent. He focuses his practice on intellectual property matters and is a trusted advisor to clients in a variety of industries, including aerospace, manufacturing, powersports, energy and software.
Daniel offers a broad range of services, including patent drafting and prosecution, patent strategy, due diligence and opinion work to clients ranging from SMEs to multinational enterprises. He has also taught practical aspects of patent law to in-house intellectual property managers and corporate counsel.
Daniel has previously worked for another leading law firm from 2016 to 2019.
- Ontario 2016
- Quebec 2018
- Canada (patents) 2018
- United States (patents) 2019
Mr. MacKay has acted for the following clients:
- A multinational manufacturer of components for recreational, agricultural and defense vehicles
- Drafted originating patent applications for vehicle tracks, track systems, gearboxes and suspension systems
- Worked with in-house IP managers in developing a patent strategy
- Provided opinions relating to third-party patents covering track systems for agricultural vehicles
- A manufacturer of recreational vehicles and watercraft with over $3 billion in revenue
- Drafted originating patent applications for steering systems, fuel systems, propulsion systems, structural components, and accessories for recreational off-road vehicles and personal watercraft
- A European technology company with over $1.5 billion in annual revenue
- Drafted originating patent applications for: machine learning systems for generating consumer metrics based on GPS and network traffic data; navigation systems; machine learning systems for completing crowdsourcing tasks; machine learning systems for presenting recommendation blocks; and computer systems for quantifying performance of computer storage devices
- Obtained allowances for patent applications relating to software technologies, including: graphical user interfaces; methods of managing memory; methods of user authentication; methods of providing access to web resources; machine learning systems for predicting traffic; methods of providing online transaction services
- A multinational supplier of machinery for injection molding of plastics
- Prepared invalidity and non-infringement opinions relating to third-party patents covering components of injection molding machines
- Performed third-party patent portfolio due diligence used in an acquisition of the third party
- An Ontario-based HVAC equipment manufacturing company
- Patented HVAC systems and related flow-control components
- Ailbe C. Flynn, LLB '97 Memorial Scholarship, for completing final year of law school with highest standing in intellectual property, information and technology law
- Undergraduate honors for academic performance, dean's list
- "Legal Know-How Lecture Series for Startups and Entrepreneurs," Ryerson University, Toronto, March-May 2018.
- Professional Engineers Ontario